With an extensive range of features Runes of Magic prepares to redefine the standard of free-to-play MMO games. Right from the launch Runes of Magic will convey its absorbing story through more than 1.000 quests embedded in an atmospheric world. Players can choose between six main classes. Combined with a secondary class they dispose of 36 individual character classes over all. All characters possess unique skills with impressive combo attacks and can use mounts. A particularly attractive feature for guilds and players is the possibility to arrange their own virtual homes with individual furnishing. Thanks to an extensive crafting and reputation system, thrilling PVP as well as demanding dungeons and boss-monsters, no wishes remain unsatisfied. The Taiwanese developer Runewaker has developed Runes of Magic according to western MMO standards within a time frame of three years. The studio will provide new challenges for players every three to four months with free add-ons and updates.
In Runes of Magic, highlevel players can try their luck in huge persistent but also instanced raid-dungeons that can only be accomplished with groups of up to 36 participants. One exponent of this elite class of dungeons is the huge “Ystra Labyrinth”. It enriches the game world since the start of the open earlier this week. The massive dungeon covers nearly the entire area of the correspondent Ystra Highlands. Multiple hidden entrances lead from the highland into the labyrinth. The cave-system is divided into three instanced levels, each of which has an independent setting, a challenging final boss monster and precious loot to match.
When players reach the level-max of 50 in Runes of Magic the adventure really starts to open up and expand. Tactically challenging dungeons like the “Cyclops Stronghold” await players to explore them. The new instanced cave system, that was made available in the latest patch, includes Cyclops-King Uguda who rules his clan in the vast catacombs with an iron fist.
The Cyclops' war machine dominates the entire stronghold. Weakened by fights against their enemies but in constant readiness, instructor Boddosch trains new recruits for the King’s personal guards in the local barracks. Defeating Boddosch is a perfect example of the first of many grueling and exciting major challenges and confrontations that every group of brave adventurers will have to face. Having won this battle, they disrupt a briefing of Cyclops officers who are not particularly amused by the unexpected disruption. With their combination of shaman and warrior skills, they do everything possible to defend the path to King Uguda's chamber.
Uguda himself, the final boss of the high-level dungeon, is supported by his best and trusted generals. As soon as they are defeated, the attacking players must face the Cyclops King himself in a challenging battle. His most powerful weapon is his unmatched fighting speed together with his very impressive physical strength. Both these features make him one of the strongest encounters in Runes of Magic. As reward for this challenging experience, Uguda holds valuable loot for anyone who dares to challenge and defeat him.
- Free-to-play: no monthly fees, free download
- Extensive dual class system (six primary and secondary classes)
- Versatile spell and attack combinations
- Engaging background story
- More than 1,000 quests and quest series at launch
- No zone boundaries thanks to a seamless architecture
- A mix of instanced, tile based, and persistent dungeons to explore
- Individually developable skills and spells
- Armor sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system with hundreds of upgradeable runes
- Optional PvP system with arena battles and guild wars
- Ranking system with player-ranking lists
- Unique mounts including horses, tigers, striders and more
- Epic crafting system with the ability to improve existing items
- Personalization of player houses through individual furnishing
- Reputation system
- Customizable user interface with the ability to use Add-Ons
- Map and radar system to easily find item dealers, resources and quests
- In-game auction houses for trading items
- Teleport-Runes for instant travel
- Mouse and keyboard controls for movement
- Regular updates with new content
- Cross-server fights through three-server-battles (in development)
- Guild houses in special zones (in development)
MMO fans can find a registration form for the newsletter on the official teaser site.
Runes of Magic is currently in open beta, and will officially launch in March 2009.
More articles about Runes of Magic