The comprehensive 1.12 update includes a number of improvements to interface responsiveness and visibility especially where customers were experiencing single clicks registered as double clicks. Also included are several additional improvements based on customer feedback and a few bug fixes, including a crash fix. The new update also added some changes to the retreat rules to improve gameplay.
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “Operation Barbarossa has just the right mix of classic strategy wargaming and innovative graphics and gameplay. With an easy-to-use scenario editor, the potential replay value of this game is enormous!”
On June 22, 1941 an avalanche of 153 German divisions crash into the Soviet Union and the largest military operation in history is begun: Operation Barbarossa. In this elegant turn-based strategy game, compelling gameplay combines with gripping history to create an addictive mix.
Aimed at all levels, from those who have never played a wargame before to those who know the history of World War II in detail, this is an entertaining and mentally challenging game of combined arms strategy. Your armor, infantry, artillery and air units will follow you through the most crucial battles of the Eastern Front. You will be able to choose from 47 different upgrades and improvements for your units as well as add new forces based on your success in the campaign.
Take command in two German and one Soviet campaign as well as individual scenarios and determine the fate of the Eastern Front. When you’ve played through all the campaigns and scenarios, try your hand at the editor to create new scenarios for yourself or to share with others!
- Over 140 different units featuring all important historical weapon systems with up to 23 different characteristics
- Experience based promotion system that offers the player 47 different upgrades to create individual units
- Three historical campaigns from the start of Operation Barbarossa until the Battle of Berlin and a tutorial campaign that provides easy access for beginners
- Interactive, animated 3D environment and detailed 3D units
- Visible weather system with five weather types that influence ground and air units
- Expanded strategic options like destruction and repair of infrastructure and fortifications
- Special unit capabilities like engineers and paratroops
More articles about Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia