Andare all'Inferno. Translation: Go to Hell.
EA's Dante's Inferno will take gamers to the western world's most definitive view of the afterlife as created in the 13th century by the Italian poet Dante Alighieri in part one of his epic classic, "The Divine Comedy."
EA's Dante's Inferno tells an adapted story that focuses on delivering a blockbuster 3rd person action game experience while bringing Alighieri's depiction of Hell to the medium. Players assume the role of Dante, who descends into Hell after returning home to find his beloved Beatrice murdered, with Lucifer seducing her soul into the underworld. Dante sets out on a rescue mission to save Beatrice, but he soon realizes he is also in Hell to face his own demons and ultimately to redeem himself.
Players will take Dante through nine unique circles of Hell as mapped out and described by Alighieri: limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery. Each circle will showcase its own distinct look, with demons, monsters, damned and geography that are crafted straight from the poem's vivid descriptions.
To take down the demons of Hell, Dante is outfitted with two primary weapons: the Scythe he takes from Death and the Holy Cross given to him by Beatrice, which has spiritual powers that will help Dante collect souls and spells from the creatures he defeats on his journey. The game also features a deep upgrade system so gamers can customize their abilities to their specific gameplay style, something they'll need as Dante comes face to face with Hell's fiercest beasts and bosses. If successful, Dante will be able to tame certain beasts, exacting their will and turning Hell's punishments back on itself.
Academy Award-nominated writer Will Rokos is writing the story line for Dante’s Inferno, who is best known for his Best Original Screenplay nomination for Monster’s Ball in 2001, and is collaborating with the game’s creative team to craft an all new narrative that parallels the original poem.
“The task of adapting a revered and classic piece of literature for the gaming medium was a tremendous challenge,” said Jonathan Knight, executive producer of Dante’s Inferno. “Dante Alighieri’s masterpiece forms the foundation of the game’s plot, but Will’s take on the Dante/Beatrice story brought the necessary conflict and action that made the material really work dramatically. It was an enormous thrill to partner on the script with someone as creative and talented as Will.”
“Taking such a naturally rich and deep universe and adapting for the video game has been one of the most interesting and challenging projects I’ve worked on,” added Will Rokos. “I really got into re-imagining Dante as a flawed hero with a dark past, and his determination to save the love of his life from a terrible fate. It was a truly unique experience to re-create one man’s hell, one circle at a time.”
- An Epic Adaptation of a Classic – Based on part one of Dante Alighieri's classic poem "The Divine Comedy," Dante's Inferno is a 3rd person action adventure game that takes Dante on an epic journey through Hell as he seeks to rescue the soul of his beloved Beatrice.
- The Nine Circles of Hell – Just like the poem, players will descend through Dante's unique nine circles of Hell: limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery. Each circle features distinct environments, enemies and story elements befitting the sins committed by their inhabitants.
- Control the Beasts of Hell – Dante's Inferno features large scale beasts and bosses, some of which Dante will be able to fully tame, utilizing them to throw back Hell's wrath to its minions.
- Fast, Addictive, Responsive Combat – Dante fights through the nine circles armed with Death's Scythe and Beatrice's Holy Cross, with magic powers and a deep, customizable upgrade system helping the player take full advantage of a fast and fluid gameplay experience that will never run at lower than 60 frames per second.
- Bring Hell With You Wherever You Go – Dante's Inferno gives PSP owners the same level of fast, responsive gameplay through all nine detailed and unique circles of hell the team is aiming to achieve on the consoles.
- Visceral Games Stamp of Approval – From the award-winning studio that created the critically-acclaimed Dead Space, Dante's Inferno will receive the same relentless focus on quality and polish Visceral Games has become known for.
More articles about Dante's Inferno