Sporting over one hundred hours of gameplay, Record of Agarest War is an SRPG which invites players into a gorgeous, expansive world of hope and despair. Players will wage war against the evil forces of darkness, take a bride - actually, several brides - and extend their lineage through five generations!
In the void before time flowed and space existed, the twelve gods were. Gods of light and darkness, they came together to create the world of Agarest, a perfect and divine paradise. The gods created life, bringing forth animals and plants by the thousands-among them the intelligent races, such as elves and humans.
But even paradise cannot last forever, and in time, war darkened the skies of Agarest. Not a simple war between mortals, easily ended by divine intervention, but a war that split the gods themselves. Armies such as the world had never seen before, and would never see again, clashed in the skies of Agarest, across its surface, and even in the caverns that wound their way through its interior.
As is the way in war, many died on both sides, gods and mortals alike, and the war left Agarest broken, blackened, and dead. The gods wept for their paradise, and in a final act of creation, sacrificed themselves to bring life back to its charred and twisted surface.
That was many thousands of years ago, and although the gods are long dead, the withering darkness that began and fueled their war is not. Imprisoned for millennia, its bonds have begun to weaken, and as they do, a shadow once again spreads across the surface of the world.
Born into this world perched unknowingly on the brink of the apocalypse, a young man by the name of Leonhardt and his descendants are the last, best hope for Agarest. Their journey will span generations and continents as they strive to once again bring peace to their beleaguered world, even as the cost of their own souls.
“In truth, we had Record of Agarest War ready to go up on the PlayStation Network months ago,” [Ed.’s note: That’s a lie.] says Ben Bateman, Editor, Aksys Games, “But when a haggard man emerged from a ball of crackling energy that materialized outside our office with dire warnings from a dark future, we decided to reconsider. As it turns out, a PlayStation Network-exclusive release of Agarest was—or rather, would have been—the catalyst for World War III. The gaming community was torn apart—literally—by this apparent favoritism, and from that schism poured the infinite minions of Satan himself, the Lord of Lies. The man told us, his eyes blank with the 1000-yard stare, of the horrors of this future war. He had been sent back in time, the last hope of a desperate human resistance, to prevent what the people of this desolate future Earth called, simply, ‘The Breaking.’ As the last spark of life passed from his body, broken and battered by his journey through the time vortex, we swore to honor his final wish.”
“This is why Record of Agarest War has been delayed,” Ben continues, his eyes wet with tears, “So that we may release it on both consoles, and in doing so, save the world.”
- Soul Breeding!:Tired of just living through one lifetime in typical RPG titles? Then witness the Soul Breed system! Choose a bride at the end of your adventure and give birth to the hero of the next generation!
- Collaborative Attacks!: Position your forces on the battlefield and wait for the right moment to string together massive combo attacks using multiple party members—both in melee and at range!
- Affection Rating: Curious how one of Agarest’s lovely ladies feels about you? Look no further than the Affection Gauge, which gives you a quick and easy visual representation of her opinions! Is she smiling? You must be doing something right! Frowning? Uh oh... If only real relationships were this easy!
- Newly Engorged with Content!: Enjoy an enhanced version of the game based on the Japanese release of Record of Agarest War: Reappearance! Hot pix included!
- Exclusive Trophy and Achievement Support!: The North American version of Record of Agarest War is the only version in the universe, and all the other places too, to have trophies and achievements! [Ed.’s note: I think you’ll find that the universe pretty much covers everything.] [PR’s response: Shut up, woman, get on my horse!]
More articles about Record of Agarest War