Penned by legendary comic book artist Joe Madureira (X-Men, Battle Chasers, The Ultimates), Darksiders is set in a Post-Apocalyptic demon-ravaged world where evil forces have prematurely brought about the end of the time.
Deceived by the forces of evil into prematurely bringing about the end of mankind, War – the first Horseman of the Apocalypse – stands accused of breaking the sacred law by inciting a war between Heaven and Hell. In the slaughter that ensued, the demonic forces defeated the heavenly hosts and laid claim to the Earth.
Brought before the sacred Charred Council, War is indicted for his crimes and stripped of his powers. Dishonored and facing his own death, War must return to Earth to search for the truth and punish those responsible. Now, hunted by a vengeful group of Angels, War must take on the forces of Hell, forge uneasy alliances with the very demons he hunts, and journey across the ravaged remains of the Earth on his quest for vengeance and vindication.
Players take on the role of War as he embarks on a brutal quest of vengeance and revenge against the forces that betrayed him with the help of his phantom steed Ruin. Darksiders features open-world exploration, a deep combat system and a huge arsenal of modern and mythical weapons.
Weapons featured in Darksiders include:
- CHAOSEATER Chaoseater is a sword unlike any other, an unforgiving weapon that has slaughtered countless enemies, their fate foretold by the death-masks artfully etched along its massive blade. Many a battle has been decided by Chaoseater’s viciously honed edge, which can slice through the thickest demon bone as if were candle wax. As with most ancient arcane weapons, Chaoseater’s true power can only be unleashed by a master equal to its blood-stained legend. Such a master is the Horseman War. War’s grim face and upraised sword could be the last thing Hell’s minions ever see . . . .
- THE HARVESTER Death’s Scythe, the Harvester, boasts a blade that resembles a barbed wing—a fitting shape, for few weapons cut through the air with more and life-ending precision. This fabled weapon was made many ages ago, to fill the bony hands of the Horseman Death. The scythe slices in great arcs, harvesting bushels of heads and gallons of blood. Even the intangible shades of Hell part like acrid vapor against its greedy edge. From death, there is no escape.
- TREMOR GAUNTLET Among the relics lost beneath the earth, the Tremor Gauntlet is uniquely frightening. It is an ancient glove lined with spikes, ornamented with a demon’s face. The demon’s eyes glow red with a single purpose—to amplify power. To possess the Tremor Gauntlet is to become the weapon. For the Tremor Gauntlet’s master, each finger has the fortitude to break enemies in half. Imagine armor imploding at the force of a blow, and massive barriers crumbling to dust. It is the stuff of demons’ dreams. For the rest of us, let us hope it remains only in our nightmares.
- REDEMPTION What angels lack in claws, teeth, and cruelty, they more than make up for with weaponry. Blazing with the radiance of the White City, Heaven’s ordnance can burn away demons and their shadows. Redemption is among the greatest of these weapons. More cannon than gun, it fires powerful rounds that punch holes of purifying fire into the dark sky. The spreading flame of each shot is perhaps the truest light now cast upon this Earth.
- FRACTURE CANNONIt takes but one glance to understand the Fracture Cannon’s terrible purpose. It is a ghoulish instrument of death, with a massive barrel, notched spikes, chains, and a fiendish skull. The cannon fires obsidian bolts that tear through flesh like wet paper—and explode into greedy flame. Even at range, the rolling thunder of each shot can shatter armor as well as bone. It is a small mercy that few are strong enough to wield this immense weapon.
- CROSSBLADE There are many profane weapons scattered about the ash of Man’s kingdom. Few can match the speed and lethality of the Crossblade. It is a cluster of four blades that can be thrown with brutal force. After arcing deep into flesh, the Crossblade returns to its wielder’s hand. The Crossblade can also absorb the properties of certain elements it passes through—such as fire and plague—and translate them into further mutilation. Even the mightiest of the Dark One’s legions must dread a weapon of such power.
- MERCY PISTOL On the battlefields of the ruined Earth, the four-barreled pistol called Mercy seems quite modest, easily dwarfed by weapons wielded by angels and demons alike. Yet it is far deadlier than any firearm the Kingdom of Man has ever seen. Mercy generates its own supply of lethal bullets. The rate of fire is defined only by how quickly its master can pull the trigger. In skilled hands, the gun’s endless fusillade of slugs can cut down an entire enemy regiment—cleansing the Earth, or casting it into darkness.
- Combining brutal attacks, supernatural abilities and seamless traversal, delivering intense action combat and epic adventure, set in an immersive demon ravaged world.
- Each open world hub offers players the freedom to explore and make their own game-experience.
- Unleash WAR’s fury with an expansive arsenal of weapons, from the fantasy oriented to the modern and the ability to use virtually anything within your environment as a weapon.
- Customized to your gameplay style. Build up WARs Wrath powers and unleash them in spectacular attacks—or collect Soul Cores to increase or unlock new abilities.
- Gain the services of Ruin, War’s phantom steed, blazing a trail through enemies across devastated environments.
- Joe Madureira’s (X-Men, Battle Chasers, The Ultimates) unique visual art style and original storyline.
- Darksiders will immerse players in a rich cinematic gameplay experience—featuring beautiful graphics, detailed special effects, cinematic lighting and an epic musical score that compliments the in-game action.
More articles about Darksiders