In Farmlands you build farms, plant crops, and battle for control of land. The goal of farmlands is straight forward....Increase your net worth to meet the goal of the map or have the largest net worth when time runs out. Players move around the outside of the board building farms and planting crops. If a player lands on your farm they will have to pay a toll equal to the value of the farm and its connected crops. It gets interesting when you start connect multiple farms together to combine their values. To prevent other players from connecting farms a player can initiate a battle by placing one of their crops on an opponents square. The outcome of battles between players are determined by slot machine mini games.
The collectible aspect of the game comes in with the pack of cards you are drawing your items and seeds from. During your turn you will draw items or seeds from your pack to use in the game. Seeds are used to plant crops or boost your attack in combat. Items are used to modify the behavior of things in the game. At the end of any map in single or multi player the player will receive additional items or seeds which they can use to customize their pack.
Under the shadow of the mountains in the the Cowlitz River Valley lived a small boy named William and a little girl by the name of Ruby. Their family came from a long line of farmers. Their grandfather had been a farmer and their great grandfather and so on as long as anyone could remember. So it was, when their grandfather retired that he turned the family farm over to their mother.
This year had been a difficult one for the family. Prices were down for the milk their cows produced and flooding had all but wiped out their corn crops. Something else seemed a little different as well… Will and Ruby (who if you hadn’t guessed by now are siblings) had just moved into a new room in the attic which their father had recently refinished. There was something strange about this room though. When their mother came down with the sickness it was about the same time they both started having the same strange dreams. Stranger still the events that unfold in the dreams seem to forebode what happens next in their lives….
Caffeinated Games, formed by Zipper Interactive's Greg Chudecke, has enterered "Farmlands Sowing Secrets" into the "The 12th Annual Indie Games Festival".
- Farmlands is a board and collectible card game. You move around a board building farms and planting crops to increase the value of your farms. If your opponent lands on your farm they must pay you a toll. The interesting thing about planting farms is if you connect two farms they are worth the same value. The goal of the game is to reach a certain total value of all your assets or to have the highest total value when the turn timer runs out.
- If your crops are next to an opponents space you can engage in combat. Combat is resolved by a slot machine system. Each of you will play the slot machine and based on the number of combos you get it will do damage to the opponents creature.
- Play through the story by yourself or with a friend. You will earn items “cards” as you play through the game which you can use to customize your deck.
- Play with up to 4 friends Hotseat or networked. Teams 1v1, 2v2, 3v1, 1v2 or free for all.
- You start with an initial pack of items and seeds. Seeds are used to plant crops or boost your attack in combat. Items are used to modify the behavior of things in the game. For instance there could be a slowmo item to slow down your slots when you are in combat, a locust storm for unleashing locusts to destroy crops, a dice manipulator to change the roll of a target player for a turn, and many more.
- When you play the game you will draw items from your pack to use on your turn. At the end of a level in single or multiplayer you will receive more items which you can use to customize your pack.
More articles about Farmlands