The comprehensive 1.14 update comes with beautiful new 2D NATO symbol counters that can be toggled on instead of the 3D unit graphics for increased visibility, increased zoom both in and out on the battlefield for better awareness, a few AI improvements, and some bug fixes.
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “There’s nothing quite as intense and engaging as the Eastern Front of World War II. Operation Barbarossa is one of the most accessible historical strategy games we’ve released and it serves as an excellent introduction to wargaming as well as a fun challenge for veteran wargamers too. We also have an updated demo for those who want to test the water before jumping in.”
On June 22, 1941 an avalanche of 153 German divisions crash into the Soviet Union and the largest military operation in history is begun: Operation Barbarossa. In this elegant turn-based strategy game, compelling gameplay combines with gripping history to create an addictive mix.
Aimed at all levels, from those who have never played a wargame before to those who know the history of World War II in detail, this is an entertaining and mentally challenging game of combined arms strategy. Your armor, infantry, artillery and air units will follow you through the most crucial battles of the Eastern Front. You will be able to choose from 47 different upgrades and improvements for your units as well as add new forces based on your success in the campaign.
Take command in two German and one Soviet campaign as well as individual scenarios and determine the fate of the Eastern Front. When you’ve played through all the campaigns and scenarios, try your hand at the editor to create new scenarios for yourself or to share with others!
- Over 140 different units featuring all important historical weapon systems with up to 23 different characteristics
- Experience based promotion system that offers the player 47 different upgrades to create individual units
- Three historical campaigns from the start of Operation Barbarossa until the Battle of Berlin and a tutorial campaign that provides easy access for beginners
- Interactive, animated 3D environment and detailed 3D units
- Visible weather system with five weather types that influence ground and air units
- Expanded strategic options like destruction and repair of infrastructure and fortifications
- Special unit capabilities like engineers and paratroops
More articles about Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia