“At the heart of the 2K DNA is the creation of intellectual properties that provide consumers with compelling narrative, heart-pounding action, and worlds that come to life around them,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Spec Ops: The Line is the epitome of a 2K Games title and incorporates all of our gameplay values: immersive experiences that draw you in, unique and innovative features that make you rethink the way you play them, and an amazingly high quality bar that is synonymous with the 2K name. By meeting these core values, I’m confident that Spec Ops: The Line will be a great experience that people will enjoy playing for years to come."
Spec Ops: The Line unfolds within the destroyed opulence of Dubai. Once the playground for the world’s wealthiest elite, Dubai has fallen victim to a series of cataclysmic sandstorms. The city’s ultramodern architecture lies half-buried under millions of tons of sand. The very sand that blankets the city plays a marquee role in altering combat situations and serves as a powerful but unpredictable force that will both help and hinder players throughout the course of the game.
While most people have fled the now-barren wasteland before the sandstorms swept through, U.S. Army Colonel John Konrad and his loyal squad remained behind to protect those incapable of escape. Unable to reach anyone in Dubai after the storm hit, the U.S. Army feared Konrad and his team dead until they picked up a weak distress signal and launched a rescue operation. As U.S. Army Captain Martin Walker, you and your elite Delta Force team are sent to infiltrate the treacherous region to bring Konrad home. Players will experience “The Line”, that razor's edge known only to men who deal in war. It is the line they cross when death and duty become one and the same. It is the end -- of self and sanity -- when their duty is done and only they remain.
“The production of Spec Ops: The Line has been a tremendous experience for YAGER,” said Timo Ullman, managing director at YAGER. “Our close collaboration with 2K Games over the course of this production has allowed us to achieve our goal of giving players a unique and exciting gaming experience in Spec Ops: The Line. YAGER’s goal is to always push the boundaries of what is possible and exceed players' expectations in every production.”
Spec Ops: The Line underscores 2K’s commitment to deliver original and innovative single and multiplayer experiences to current generation consoles and PCs. Spec Ops: The Line will take that commitment to the next level by providing players with a new and exciting multiplayer experience that offers a unique perspective on the single-player storyline.
- Deep, Mature Narrative: The story of Captain Walker’s rescue mission will challenge players to make tough choices between what’s moral and what’s necessary, as Walker’s journey pushes him to his very limits.
- Blasted Opulence: The events unfold in a stunning, haunting setting – the remains of Dubai, once one of the wealthiest cities on Earth, now stripped bare. Dubai’s bold and luxurious architecture still shines through, in spite of the sandstorms threatening all that’s left. Opulent interiors contrast sharply with the vertigo inducing heights and mass destruction outside of the extravagant structures.
- Dynamic Sand: Turn the tables on foes by crushing them under a cascade of sand cast down by a strategically placed shot – but beware of oncoming sandstorms and their gale-force winds. The sweeping sands of Dubai feel almost alive, serving as a powerful but unpredictable force that will both help and hinder the mission, while opening up a variety of new interactions and tactics.
- Brutal, In-Your-Face Action: Join forces with intelligent, resourceful squad mates in fever-pitched gun battles. Accessible combat and squad controls will get you in the fight quickly, where you’ll experience the raw destructive force of your authentic weapons as well as engage in extremely physical close-quarters battles.
- Endless Multiplayer: In addition to the single-player story mode, Spec Ops: The Line packs a full range of multiplayer features, including a never-before-seen mode with unique connections to the main story, a breadth of competitive and team-based modes, as well as the ability to rank up, personalize, and customize characters from two distinctly different factions.
Spec Ops: The Line is not yet rated by the ESRB. The title is planned for release during Take-Two’s 2011 fiscal year, which begins on November 1, 2010.
More articles about Spec Ops: The Line