Welcome to the Age of Decadence combat beta! It's set in the arena district of Maadoran from the full game. You'll get to pit your character's fighting skills against various opponents with the ultimate aim of being crowned the arena champion. Becoming the arena champion will not be easy, or even very likely (just try getting life insurance as a professional gladiator), but we hope you have fun trying. The main purpose of this beta is to test the combat system from the full game and tweak it if necessary based on player feedback, as well as detect any performance or stability issues. Some story elements have been added for your amusement, but they don't represent the scope of options that will be available in the complete game. Bear in mind that everything you'll see is a work in progress (the animations are being improved as I write this). The beta allows you to change the screen resolution, shadows and other settings from within the game (either from main menu, or by pressing ctrl-o at any time), but unfortunately anti-aliasing cannot be turned on from the game. This is a restriction of the game engine being used, and can be easily worked around by simply switching on anti-aliasing in your graphics card settings before starting AoD.
A regular demo featuring the entire first location and the full range of gameplay options (factions, multiple quest solutions, large variety of dialogue options, alchemy, crafting, sneaking, thievery, persuasion, diplomacy, lore, trickery, disguise, forgery, and more) will be available upon the game's release.
- 7 distinctive gameplay styles: from knight, serving a Noble House, to grifter, preying on greed and gullibility.
- 23 skills, ranging from Dagger and Critical Strike to Disguise and Persuasion to Crafting and Lore.
- Action Point-based combat system, featuring a flexible set of standard attacks, special attacks such as whirlwind and impale, and aimed attacks at different body parts.
- 8 weapon types: daggers, swords, axes, hammers, spears, bows, crossbows, throwing weapons, each with individual traits.
- Non-combat quest resolutions and a well-developed diplomatic path ( "The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." )
- Over 100 quests, taking you to 22 locations: towns, outposts, archeological digs, sealed places of Power, underground facilities, and temples.
- Each situation has multiple ways of handling it, based on your skills, reputation, and connections. Each way has consequences that will affect someone or something.
- Extensive dialogue trees, written with role-playing in mind. You can use many skills in dialogues, take actions like stealing or sneak-attacking, and play your character with personality as you see fit.
- An interesting world with rich history and unclear future that your actions can shape into seven very different game endings.
- Detailed crafting and alchemy systems: melt items and create new ones, balance your sword, play with Greek fire, increase your poison's potency, use corrosive acid on locks, and experiment with black powder.
- Hundreds of items, ranging from weapons and armor to scrolls, tools, flasks, and pre-war relics.
- 3D world created with Torque Game Engine, featuring detailed locations and almost 200 unique animations.
More articles about Age of Decadence