"RealD 3D introduced a new era of movies, giving filmmakers the ability to take audiences inside distant worlds, immersing them deeper into stories than ever before," said Joshua Greer, President of RealD. "RealD technology can now do the same for gaming by creating ultra-realistic 3D experiences where players can literally step inside a game and interact with a fully dimensionalized environment. This new generation of RealD 3D powered video games will for the first time truly replicate on screen the way we see and interact with our world."
"RealD has the world's best 3D technology, as evident by their leading the current 3D movie revolution," said Shin Unozawa, President & Chief Executive Officer, NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. "We look forward to our developers leveraging RealD's decades of 3D expertise and this breakthrough technology to deliver an unsurpassed and true-to-life 3D gaming experience."
The RealD Stereoscopic Gaming API is a toolkit of proprietary 3D technology designed to solve issues inherent with existing 3D gaming technology. This includes creating the perception of depth across the entire line of sight, eliminating any 'cardboard cut-out' background affects. The API also gives developers new gameplay tools like head tracking and automatic camera adjustments, creating a fully immersive 3D gaming experience that interacts with a player visually and physically.
Features of the RealD Stereoscopic Gaming API include:
- RealD stereoscopic output format - visually lossless universal 3D format for multiplexing a left/right stereoscopic image stream into a single image channel.
- Auto-camera - auto adjustment technology for viewing angles in changing scenes to assure comfortable viewing of crisp, clear 3D effects.
- Depth budget allocation - automated continuous 3D effects compatible with real-time rendering to create natural looking depth from the foreground to the farthest horizon.
- Negative disparity control - eliminates edge-intercepting objects from breaking frame and creating broken 3D effects.
- Head tracking - player head movements are tracked by a peripheral web-camera with 3D environments that rotate naturally about the screen plane to ensure image separation is always parallel to a player's eyes for more realistic effects.
RealD's Stereoscopic Gaming API will be implemented in upcoming as yet unannounced NAMCO BANDAI Games titles.