This expansion was created by a dedicated team of fans who took the original game and transformed it in to something even better! The project was started by Borger Borgersen, Ronnie Runyan, Jim Potts, Paul Kirby and Tim Lynch nearly 2 years ago and has eaten up countless hours of their spare time. Since they started a team of over 15 people have become involved ranging from artists and manual writers to programmers and even guys working on a MAC conversion! The full credits list can be seen below. We at Slitherine are amazed at what a group of fans can do when they put their minds to it and would like to thank them for their dedication to building the Commander Europe at War community. All Slitherine have done is help them build it in to an installer and make it compatible with as many versions of the game as possible. The real work was all done by the fans. The expansion offers a whole new set of features, some of which are described below. Anyone with Commander Europe at War should grab this FREE expansion immediately and get playing. It add new ways to play and offers hours of replay value in single player and some great new features for multiplayer.
- Country specific unit graphics and NATO counters, so all major and minor nations have a full set of unit images!
- Transport and sea invasion models, which are a function of technology. Allies limited by technology as to how many units they can have on transport ship at a time.
- New submarine warfare model that much more realistically models the Battle of the Atlantic
- New weather feature. Weather is random yet realistic and effects combat and movement encouraging warfare in good weather. Also effects storms at sea so naval invasions & combat in winter are much harder.
- New partisan model. Partisans now spawn in all conquered countries and force the axis player to garrison cities and resources as they did historically, which radically changes the strategies that work,
- Added a Blitzkrieg effect where invaded countries suffer a temporary efficiency loss, due to surprise.
- Added Russian Siberian reserves which are released when the USA enters the war
- More cities, ports, revised political boarders, updated/new terrain features (e.g., Persian Gulf), more forts (e.g., Gustav, Ostwell & Siegfried) and five naval transport loops (e.g., Kiel)
- Added an air base feature. They allow aircraft to refuel mid Atlantic in Greenland etc.
- Vichy France and Free France are both added as separate countries
- New victory conditions based on historical surrender date of May 8th 1945
- Historical Italian surrender, where Italy can surrender without Rome falling
- Updated rail model including the ability to degrade rail capacity through bombing.
- New African supply model that limits the number of units the Axis can maintain in North Africa
- Added traded oil (Germany & Russia) and iron ore (Germany & Sweden)
- Added Lend Lease to Russia through Persia
- Carrier air wings and fighters can be grounded to avoid unnecessary combat
- Limited the air attacks you can use per turn on a single target which means air power can weaken but not destroy ground units, making it far more realistic.
- Specially created 173-page highly polished Grand Strategy Expansion players manual
Grand Strategy requires v 1.12 of Commander Europe at War, but it supports the original game and the MILITARY HISTORY version. The Grand Strategy expansion sits alongside your existing install so after installing you either have the choice to run the original game or the Grand Strategy expansion. You can uninstall the Grand Strategy expansion at any time and will still have a fully working version of the original game.
More articles about Commander: Europe at War