The Grumman F6F Hellcat was a carrier-based fighter aircraft developed to replace the earlier F4F Wildcat in United States Navy service. Although the F6F bore a family resemblance to the Wildcat, it was a completely new design powered by a 2,000 hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800. Some tagged it as the "Wildcat's big brother" . The Hellcat and the Vought F4U Corsair were the primary USN fighters during the second half of World War II.
Jason Codd , Co-Founder and Commercial Director of Mamba Games quoted “ The quality of the work Real Flight Simulations has done is absolutely stunning, I am a big Microsoft Simulator X player and this add on is right up there with the best I have played. The visuals of the actual aircraft are as close to the real thing as you can get and I am positive the end users will be as happy as we are with it”
The Hellcat proved to be the most successful aircraft in naval history, destroying 5,171 aircraft while in service with the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps (5,163 in the Pacific and eight more during the invasion of Southern France), plus 52 with the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm during World War II. Postwar, the Hellcat aircraft was systematically phased out of front line service, but finally retired as late as 1954 as a night-fighter in composite squadrons.
- Models x2 F6F-3 and F6F-5.
- 3D Gauges.
- Authentic sound set.
- Weapons include: Guns, Rockets and Bombs.
- Droppable and Functional droptank.
- Parked Animations (Gunbays and Chocks)
- Operational Wing Folding Mechanism.
- Arrest hook for Carrier landings.
- Highly detailed Pilot.
- Light Bloom on Glass and shiny materials.
- Running and Landing Lights.
- Exhaust smoke from engine startup.
- Engine Flames.
- VC Night Lighting
- Full Bump mapping and Specular highlights.
- High Resolution Textures Throughout
- Canopy close / open animation.
- PDF Manual
- 12 Paintschemes.
- Realistic engine startup and shut down procedure.
With a release date set for the 27th March 2009 Microsoft X players will get the chance to fly this stunning aircraft in all its glory!