With an extensive range of features Runes of Magic prepares to redefine the standard of free2play MMO games. Runes of Magic conveys an absorbing story through more than 1.000 quests embedded in an atmospheric fantasy setting. Players can choose between six main classes and combined with a secondary class they present 30 individual combinations of character classes over all. All characters possess unique skills with impressive combo attacks and can use mounts like war horses and more. A particularly attractive feature for guilds and players is the possibility to arrange their own virtual homes with individual furnishing. Thanks to an extensive crafting and reputation system, thrilling PVP, as well as demanding dungeons and boss-monsters, no wishes remain unsatisfied. The Taiwanese developer Runewaker has developed Runes of Magic according to western MMO standards within a time frame of three years. The studio will provide new challenges for players every three to four months with free add-ons and updates.
Frogster is planning to introduce the 1-on-1 arena system into the open beta at the beginning of March. After the release of the patch, the best players in the 1-on-1 arena system will have an opportunity to win an exclusive mount.
In the heart of Dust Devil Canyon lies the Obsidian Bastion, capital city and fortress of the NPC faction ‘The Order of Dark Glory’. The city’s central square holds an arena in which mercenaries can gain combat experience and measure their powers against rivals. To guarantee a balanced contest, players will need to register with the Arena Master, who will automatically assign opponents with similar statistics. The arena will act as a tool to teach players how to control their avatars: how their character should be equipped, the skills required for PvP and how dual classes should be harmonised for their own style of play. During every three minutes of combat, a magical seal will appear which when touched, will release a random effect – such as a healing or strength enhancing spell.
Points beckon for a victory and these will go to the player’s personal evaluation, with a defeat causing a decrease. Players will receive credits in the form of arena coins for the points score they achieve each week and this will flow into the ranking system. When these are totalled at the end of the month, the best players will receive an exclusive mount for one month.
Following the release (March 19th), Frogster plans to further expand on the arena system. Then among other things, certain items will also be on offer to players to earn through man-on-man combat.
- Free2play: no monthly fees, free download
- Extensive dual class system (six primary and secondary classes)
- Versatile spell- and attack-combinations
- Enthralling background story
- More than 1.000 quests and quest series on launch
- No zone boundaries thanks to seamless architecture
- Dungeons: Instanced and tile based as well as persistent
- Individually developable skills and spells
- Armour sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system with hundreds of runes for upgrading
- Optional PvP system with arena battles and guild wars
- Ranking system with player-ranking lists
- Multitude of unique mounts
- Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items
- Personalization of player houses through individual furnishing
- Reputation system
- Customisable user interface with the option to use Add-Ons
- Map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- In-game auction houses for trading items
- Teleport-Runes for instant travel
- Mouse and keyboard controls for movement
- Regular updates with new content
- Cross-server fights in three-server-battle in development
- Guild houses in special zones in development
MMO fans can find a registration form for the newsletter on the official teaser site.
Runes of Magic is currently in open beta, and will officially launch in March 19, 2009.
More articles about Runes of Magic