Microsoft's Get Game Smart Campaign is public service campaign takes a first-of-its-kind approach to educating and engaging American families by helping parents and kids maintain an ongoing dialogue around balanced and age-appropriate media use and, more specifically, video games, in their homes.
With 65% of American households playing computer or video games,1 it is more important than ever for parents and caregivers to be aware of — and have access to — resources and tools to manage their children’s digital media use. This is why Microsoft Corp., along with the nation’s most prominent children’s media advocates and consumer electronics retailer Best Buy®, is encouraging families to Get Game Smart with a first-of-its-kind approach to educating and engaging American families. Get Game Smart is a new public service campaign designed to help parents and kids maintain a dialogue about balanced and age-appropriate media use and, more specifically, video gaming on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system and Windows-based PC in their homes.
Get Game Smart gives families resources and incentives to put media use rules and guidelines into effect at home. Families are encouraged to participate in a variety of fun and engaging online and offline activities to help ensure they are using media in ways that are healthy, balanced and appropriate. There is even an opportunity for teens and their parents to become Get Game Smart Ambassadors, where they will actively inspire other families to make safer gaming choices.
The new campaign Web site brings the most current information about parental controls tools, expert tips and resources together online. At GetGameSmart.com, parents and caregivers can find all the information they need to say “yes” to what their kids enjoy, ensuring they use appropriate media safely. An expert blog on the Web site will tackle current issues such as reducing family friction when it comes to video games, and will inform parents of trends so they are ahead of the curve when it comes to video gaming and online safety.
As part of the Get Game Smart campaign, Microsoft is also conducting a search for parents and teens to serve as Get Game Smart Ambassadors — new messengers who will help educate their peers on making smart video gaming and media choices. Starting today, parents are invited to team up with one of their teens and participate in the nationwide search by submitting a brief video that spotlights their family’s approach to a responsible digital lifestyle, including rules related to video gaming.
Contest winners will ultimately be chosen via popular vote and will receive prizes including an Xbox 360 entertainment system, a suite of Xbox 360 family-friendly games, Zune digital media players, Insignia 7-megapixel digital cameras and cash. Winners will also become Get Game Smart Ambassadors and join Microsoft and other influential voices in a new forum for maintaining a dialogue about gaming safety.
Parent-and-teen teams are invited to enter this contest by submitting a brief video (ends March 6, 2009) spotlighting their family's approach to a responsible digital lifestyle, including rules related to video gaming. Visit the official GetSmart contest page for official rules, prize lists and entry information.
Another component of the campaign is the Get Game Smart Family Challenge Sweepstakes. Families can enter by completing various activities related to smart video gaming and media use. One grand-prize winner will receive a $5,000 Best Buy gift card and 100 winners will receive Best Buy gift cards for amounts worth up to $250.
The campaign’s online hub is a one-stop-shop for parents, offering resources such as up-to-date reports on video gaming, information about new technology and digital media tips and suggestions from other families, campaign partners and a variety of experts.
You’ll also learn more about:
- The Get Game Smart Video Contest: a search for parents and teens to serve as Get Game Smart Ambassadors -- a new set of messengers that will help educate their peers on making smart media choices
- Parent-and-teen teams are invited to participate in the nationwide search by submitting a brief video spotlighting their family's approach to a responsible digital lifestyle, including rules related to video gaming
- Winners (selected by well-know judges and online popular vote) will receive prizes like a Zune digital media player, an Xbox 360 entertainment system, a suite of Xbox 360 family-friendly games and cash. They will also become Get Game Smart Ambassadors and join Microsoft and other influential voices in a brand-new forum for maintaining a dialogue about gaming safety.
- Video Contest Winners and the new Get Game Smart Ambassadors will be announced early June.
- The Family Challenge Sweepstakes: will inspire families to take simple steps to help ensure they are using media in ways that are healthy, balanced and appropriate, and incent them to participate
- By completing a quick roadmap of activities, parents can strengthen their knowledge of parental controls technology, video gaming lingo and their own kids' interests, allowing them to feel confident that they have the tools and information they need to make the right choices.
- Participants will have the chance to win prizes such as $100 Best Buy gift cards or a $5,000 gift certificate for a home entertainment system.
- Winners will be announced early June.