Discover what lies beyond the edge of evolution…
An all-new, third-person open-world/action game, Prototype lets gamers feel the power of being the ultimate shape-shifting weapon. You are the Prototype: Alex Mercer – a genetically mutated man without memory, armed with amazing shape-shifting abilities, hunting your way to discover what created you and determined to make those responsible pay. As Alex, gamers will tear through a densely populated contemporary New York City with Parkour-style agility, consuming anybody that gets in his way…assuming their physical identity, memories and abilities. Fueled by three key factions consisting of Alex, the Blackwatch (military) and a viral outbreak known as the Infected, players will venture into a deep, dark conspiracy 40 years in the making!
Key Features :
- Alex Mercer is a shape-shifter with amazing powers of combat, destruction and deception. As Alex, gamers can consume and absorb any living person they come into contact with while moving through Prototype’s New York City backdrop, and as such, he can gain access to their memories, assume their physical identity and use any special abilities/powers they had, each time bringing him closer to solving the growing conspiracy behind his existence. Further, Alex can mix and match genetic traits to create incredibly deadly biological weapons, including razor sharp claws, blades, armored skin, shields and more. Used correctly, Alex Mercer – the Prototype – is the ultimate shape-shifting weapon.
- Alex Mercer’s movement in Prototype is based on the art of ‘Parkour’ – a French term meaning to move from one point to another as quickly as possible principally using the abilities of the human body. Being more than human, nothing in Prototype’s bustling New York City setting is an obstacle for Alex. Players will vault over hundreds of cars, run vertically up the sides of skyscrapers, scale huge distances in single jumps and more.
- Prototype’s ‘Deceive and Destroy’ gameplay allows players the opportunity to blend in with the crowded population and covertly progress through the story, or fully unleash Alex’s powers, moving through New York City as a walking slaughterhouse – shape-shifting and consuming enemies in plain sight on the street, commandeering military vehicles, including Apache helicopters and Abrams tanks and causing destruction at every turn.
- Prototype’s playground is contemporary New York City done right! The city is jam-packed with thousands of pedestrians, hundreds of cars and is truly a bustling, thriving representation of the world’s most famous city. The population is extremely dense, providing for an endless feast of gameplay possibilities, so when things start to explode, players really get the feeling that the city is caving in around them. Furthermore, in reference to some of Prototype’s boss battles…there’s definitely a need for a setting as big as Manhattan.
- Prototype is an original intellectual property created internally at Radical Entertainment featuring Alex Mercer – an all-new anti-hero framed within a conspiracy-drenched plot that provides gamers a fresh storyline and experience to play through. With no memory of his past, Alex Mercer’s sole mission is to find out who’s responsible for what’s happened to him…and make them pay. As players evolve Alex and his shape-shifting abilities throughout the story, they’ll incrementally learn more and more about his tortured past while combating the lethal Blackwatch Military Special Forces and a virally mutated enemy faction known as the Infected. Gamers will also delve into the deep, dark back-story mechanic known as the ‘Web of Intrigue’ and witness a conspiracy 40 years in the making spiral out of control… revealing Alex Mercer’s past and defining his future.
- Radical Entertainment is the developer behind Prototype and touts a wide catalog of successful titles, including the highly acclaimed The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Simpsons Hit & Run and Scarface: The World is Yours. Prototype is powered by Radical Entertainments all-new proprietary Titanium game engine, sporting mind-blowing gameplay with explosive on-screen action, and is one of the first games ever to support Neural 7.1 Surround Sound certified by THX for audio and video quality.
Prototype is in development for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, currently scheduled for release in June 2009.
More articles about Prototype