With an extensive range of features Runes of Magic prepares to redefine the standard of free2play MMO games. Runes of Magic conveys an absorbing story through more than 1.000 quests embedded in an atmospheric fantasy setting. Players can choose between six main classes and combined with a secondary class they present 30 individual combinations of character classes over all. All characters possess unique skills with impressive combo attacks and can use mounts like war horses and more. A particularly attractive feature for guilds and players is the possibility to arrange their own virtual homes with individual furnishing. Thanks to an extensive crafting and reputation system, thrilling PVP, as well as demanding dungeons and boss-monsters, no wishes remain unsatisfied. The Taiwanese developer Runewaker has developed Runes of Magic according to western MMO standards within a time frame of three years. The studio will provide new challenges for players every three to four months with free add-ons and updates.
From today players will be able to have their own castles in the fantasy world of Taborea. Frogster is activating the long-awaited ‘Guild Castles’ feature on the live servers of Runes of Magic that will give guilds the opportunity to move and furnish their personal guild accommodation. The next step for the Berlin publisher is to enable the guild wars function. The aim: to destroy the throne of an opposing guild.
However, building a castle isn’t going to be so easy: The guild must first of all climb to level seven and must have its community coffers well stocked with ore, wood and gold. Should guilds fulfil these conditions, they will then have access to an individual fortress located in an instanced part of the game world. This will then make a range of opportunities open to the guild. For one, the guild castle will contain a central bank for its members and also the players themselves will be able to decide with what kind of furniture they wish to furnish their castle. Whether carpets, chests, tables or cupboards, everything is – as it is already in player’s houses – freely movable. As a crowning, yet sinfully expensive element, guilds can even acquire a throne for their castle. Guilds can, however, also acquire practical functions in exchange for resources: upgrades such as gates or teleporters will not only shorten journey times, they will also be useful tactical elements in the planned guild wars.
In future conflicts, guilds will be able to conquer opposing castles. However, guilds may go to war only if they also possess their own throne. The goal of the combat is the opposing guild’s throne. The destruction of a throne marks the end of the conflict and the defeated guild loses its dearly acquired throne as well as a part of its assembled resources. Over and above this, there is a plan to introduce guild furniture which is reserved specifically for use in the castle and which will in effect grant the guild special bonuses. The guild wars are presently in development and an exact launch date has not as yet been announced.
- Free2play: no monthly fees, free download
- Extensive dual class system (six primary and secondary classes)
- Versatile spell- and attack-combinations
- Enthralling background story
- More than 1.000 quests and quest series on launch
- No zone boundaries thanks to seamless architecture
- Dungeons: Instanced and tile based as well as persistent
- Individually developable skills and spells
- Armour sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system with hundreds of runes for upgrading
- Optional PvP system with arena battles and guild wars
- Ranking system with player-ranking lists
- Multitude of unique mounts
- Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items
- Personalization of player houses through individual furnishing
- Reputation system
- Customisable user interface with the option to use Add-Ons
- Map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- In-game auction houses for trading items
- Teleport-Runes for instant travel
- Mouse and keyboard controls for movement
- Regular updates with new content
- Cross-server fights in three-server-battle in development
- Guild houses in special zones in development
MMO fans can find a registration form for the newsletter on the official teaser site.
Runes of Magic is currently in open beta, and will officially launch in March 19, 2009.
More articles about Runes of Magic