The player takes on the role of MI6 agent Violette Summer. Alone and behind enemy lines, she infiltrates military installations, places explosive charges and takes out high-ranking enemies – silent and deadly.
Already an exception in the genre as a female protagonist, Violette is a new type of action heroine. She is a lone warrior, taking on the most difficult assignments and securing a place among the toughest games’ heroes.Cool and calculating, she moves through her assignments with intense concentration, always ready to strike. Without flinching, she knocks down doors and applies her weapons arsenal, giving everything for her mission’s success.
Detailed real-life locations lend the scenarios more realism and authentic challenges, providing a true-to-life backdrop for the fictitious resistance fighter missions. Violette’s assignments take her into the faithfully modelled cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. All around the church, soldiers can be seen pilfering pieces of art, while Violette is pursuing her mission, taking her all the way onto the roof of the famous cathedral.
Animation artist Chung, best known as the creator and director of Aeon Flux, will be working with the Velvet Assassin team to create all-new, original work based on the upcoming stealth-action game Velvet Assassin. His work can be seen in a graphic novel that focuses on Violette’s early years and tells the story of how she became an undercover part of the war effort. The 15+ page digital graphic novel will be available as an exclusive, limited-quantity bonus item to those who purchase the game at GameStop.
Velvet Assassin is the sumptuous new stealth-action game set to deliver a breath of fresh air into the genre and up the stakes for World War II games. Inspired by the fascinating story and unbreakable spirit of British secret agent Violette Szabo, players take control of Violette Summer, a beautiful spy deep behind enemy lines with no support or official backing from the British Government. Intense stealth-action gameplay with a startling real-time lighting system and surreal visuals combine to produce an incredible gaming experience.
Heroine Violette Summer was influenced to some degree by the actual French resistance fighter Violette Szabo, who completed several dangerous assignments for Great Britain before being executed in Ravensbrueck concentration camp. She was the first woman to be posthumously awarded such high honors as the British “King George’s Cross” and the French “Croix de la Guerre”. However, at this point, Violette Szabo and Violette Summer have little else in common than their first names. While Szabo is a real-life hero of the Résistance, Violette Summer is purely a work of fiction.
Velvet Assassin stands out through its unique look and balanced mixture of stealth and action elements: one moment the game might reward a deliberate, tactical and silent approach and the next moment you will have to keep your cool in fierce shootouts. Small puzzles will spice up the missions occasionally.
Additionally, you can develop Violette’s skills and equipment with the help of collectible items you find throughout the game, which give access to better weapons or level up her basic abilities.
- Bring your enemies to a violent end that they'll never see coming. For example, lure your enemy by whistle to a puddle of gasoline right before you ignite it.
- Explore hyper-realistic dreamlike settings that are modeled after actual World War II locations.
- Experience the unimaginable horrors of stealthy, off-battlefield warfare. And discover letters and treasures left behind by German soldiers.
- Use a variety of weapons and stealth gadgets that are true to World War II fighting.
- Go on assassination missions, try to survive Violette's nightmares, and complete a rescue mission that is anything but life saving.
- By completing missions, change Violette's attributes to suit your play style, whether it be more stealth or strength.
- Stunning and vibrant environments are as rich and haunting as the dreams and memories that inspired them.
- Hunt for enemy targets as Violette narrates the story and feeds you insider information.
- Dynamic lighting makes shadows and beams of light realistically move adding intensity to gameplay.
- Meet interesting characters in a story of betrayal and horror.
- Infiltrate Nazi military installations only to destroy them with explosive charges. And silently slaughter key leaders in the enemy regime.
- Using historically accurate guns and knives, Violette sneaks up behind her enemies to silently and viciously execute them.
Gamecock will release Velvet Assassin worldwide for X360 and PC in April 2009.
More articles about Velvet Assassin