With an extensive range of features Runes of Magic prepares to redefine the standard of free to play massively online role playing games. Runes of Magic conveys an absorbing story through more than 1.000 quests embedded in an atmospheric fantasy world. Players can choose between six main classes and combined with a secondary class they present 30 individual combinations of character classes over all. All characters possess unique skills with impressive combo attacks and can use mounts like war horses and more. A particularly attractive feature for guilds and players is the possibility to arrange their own virtual homes with individual furnishing. Thanks to an extensive crafting and reputation system, thrilling PvP, as well as demanding dungeons and boss-monsters, no wishes remain unsatisfied. The Taiwanese developer Runewaker has developed Runes of Magic according to western MMO standards within a time frame of three years. The studio will provide new challenges for players every four to five months with free add-ons and updates.
The once proud fortress on the Dragonfang Ridge will expand the Runes of Magic world in a few weeks time with a further group challenge for those at a level between 35 to 40. The players however first have to earn their right to enter and there are quests waiting for the players before they are granted entry into the fortress. The monumental ruins with their richly ornate outer walls and mighty stone columns can only hint at the masterly architectural skill of their constructors.
In the wake of a devastating defeat, the original inhabitants of the ‘Ruins of the Ice Dwarf Kingdom’ fled to the innermost corners of the complex. They suspect there is important information to be learnt about the people in the ruins and Taborean scholars are increasingly setting forth in courageous groups to fathom out their secret. A slumbering secret in the form of a ‘Font of Power’, lays hidden in a subterranean part of the city.
On their route into the depths, players can expect some tricky challenges: the whole complex is home to middle bosses, who have to be conquered. And so kitchens, wine cellars and living quarters of the erstwhile king become the setting for gripping battles between game-hardened hero troops and their adversaries. The nearer the adventure gets to the final boss, the hotter things get. In a subterranean cave the ‘Font of Power’ is watched over by the fire giant Thynos. Now all energies have to be summoned in order to extinguish him. This is the only way that the remaining inhabitants of the surrounding area can be spared a terrible catastrophe.
- Free2play: no monthly fees, free download
- Extensive dual class system (six primary and secondary classes)
- Versatile spell- and attack-combinations
- Enthralling background story
- More than 1.000 quests and quest series on launch
- No zone boundaries thanks to seamless architecture
- Dungeons: Instanced and tile based as well as persistent
- Individually developable skills and spells
- Armour sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system with hundreds of runes for upgrading
- Optional PvP system with arena battles and guild wars
- Ranking system with player-ranking lists
- Multitude of unique mounts
- Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items
- Personalization of player houses through individual furnishing
- Reputation system
- Customisable user interface with the option to use Add-Ons
- Map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- In-game auction houses for trading items
- Teleport-Runes for instant travel
- Mouse and keyboard controls for movement
- Regular updates with new content
- Cross-server fights in three-server-battle in development
- Guild houses in special zones in development
MMO fans can find a registration form for the newsletter on the official teaser site.
Runes of Magic is currently in open beta, and will officially launch in March 19, 2009.
More articles about Runes of Magic