With an extensive range of features Runes of Magic prepares to redefine the standard of free2play MMO games. Runes of Magic conveys an absorbing story through more than 1.000 quests embedded in an atmospheric fantasy setting. Players can choose between six main classes and combined with a secondary class they present 30 individual combinations of character classes over all. All characters possess unique skills with impressive combo attacks and can use mounts like war horses and more. A particularly attractive feature for guilds and players is the possibility to arrange their own virtual homes with individual furnishing. Thanks to an extensive crafting and reputation system, thrilling PVP, as well as demanding dungeons and boss-monsters, no wishes remain unsatisfied. The Taiwanese developer Runewaker has developed Runes of Magic according to western MMO standards within a time frame of three years. The studio will provide new challenges for players every three to four months with free add-ons and updates.
The high-level dungeon ‘Kalin Shrine’ is a mysterious place where the dark mage Regin has taken possession and where he sets players some huge challenges.
Located in the dusty wastes of the Dust Devil Canyon, the ‘Kalin Shrine’ was built back in the mists of time, even before the blossoming of the of the old kingdoms. Ancient knowledge resides in the heart of the Shrine and there once was a time when Regin kept this knowledge safe for his own followers, but now he is using the power of the shrine for his own dark purposes. Well armed players are now being requested to drive him out of the sanctuary. This is no simple task; it can only be undertaken by warriors who have the maximum Level 50, since the passages and levels of this lost shrine are populated by ghosts, rune guardians and grave robbers.
In addition, boss level opponents also support the powerful magician in his sinister works. They all demand a special tactical approach from the six man group of adventurers. Just one of the obstacles for players to over come in this struggle is a crystal tortoise which can bind players in solid ice for ten minutes. However, the most testing battle lies at the heart of the shrine: In order to defend his power, any means is justifiable to the End Boss Regin. Using black magic, he is able to summon some of the already slain bosses back to life and bring them to his aid. Should adventurers master this quest and free the shrine from the evil influence, their troubles will be rewarded with booty in the form of rare armour. Moreover, many more quests are entwined around the ‘Kalin Shrine’ and so continue to lead the story of the Runes of Magic ever onward.
- Free2play: no monthly fees, free download
- Extensive dual class system (six primary and secondary classes)
- Versatile spell- and attack-combinations
- Enthralling background story
- More than 1.000 quests and quest series on launch
- No zone boundaries thanks to seamless architecture
- Dungeons: Instanced and tile based as well as persistent
- Individually developable skills and spells
- Armour sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system with hundreds of runes for upgrading
- Optional PvP system with arena battles and guild wars
- Ranking system with player-ranking lists
- Multitude of unique mounts
- Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items
- Personalization of player houses through individual furnishing
- Reputation system
- Customisable user interface with the option to use Add-Ons
- Map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- In-game auction houses for trading items
- Teleport-Runes for instant travel
- Mouse and keyboard controls for movement
- Regular updates with new content
- Cross-server fights in three-server-battle in development
- Guild houses in special zones in development
MMO fans can find a registration form for the newsletter on the official teaser site.
Runes of Magic is currently in open beta, and will officially launch in March 19, 2009.
More articles about Runes of Magic