Developed by SCEA's award winning Bend Studio, Resistance: Retribution is a third-person adventure designed specifically for the PSP. Utilizing their expertise in creating high quality titles for the PSP, Bend Studio has created an all new story, levels, weapons and enemies, as well as a proprietary targeting system that takes full advantage of the PSP control system. Their third generation PSP game engine pushes the system to its limit, allowing more detailed characters, special effects, and terrain that captures the look and feel of the Resistance universe on the portable system.
Set in the weeks after Resistance: Fall of Man , Resistance: Retribution follows the story of former British Marine James Grayson. After a personal tragedy – he is forced to kill his own brother inside a Chimeran conversion center – Grayson goes on a vendetta to destroy every conversion center he can find. Eventually Grayson learns that his efforts have been futile... in Western Europe the Chimera have evolved a new method of converting humans to aliens. The European resistance – the Maquis – enlist Grayson's help, and he joins Cartwright and Parker in Operation Overstrike. The war to retake the European continent has begun.
Various multiplayer modes:
- Team Deathmatch: Eliminate the players on the opposing team. The team with the highest score wins.
- Capture The Flag: Grab the opposing team’s flag and deliver it to your base to score the capture. You flag is required at your base to score.
- Containment: Capture coolant nodes to overheat and destroy the opposing teams reactor. Controlling both coolant nodes increases the overheat time
- Assimilation: The Cloven must eliminate the Maquis forces and assimilate them to their team. The last Maquis to be eliminated ends the round. The player with the highest individual score wins.
- Free For All: All players are out for themselves. Eliminate the opposition and the player with the highest score wins.
- Game: A third person action-adventure game created specifically for PSP that bridges Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2.
- Storyline: Dramatic storyline set against the battle to retake the European continent, follows a single soldier's grim determination to avenge his fallen brother.
- Engine: Utilizes Bend Studio's third generation PSP engine that allows for more enemies on screen, more detailed characters with higher resolution bitmaps and specular highlights, and a memory buffer system that allows for larger and more detailed worlds.
- Revolutionary Targeting System: Advanced third person targeting system designed specifically for the PSP.
- Portability: Liberal checkpoint system makes the title ideal for small bursts of gameplay perfect for the on-the-go gamer.
- Weaponry: Weapons include favorites from Resistance: Fall of Man like the Auger, Carbine, and LAARK, as well as new weapons based on hybrid Alien/Human technology – including the BM001 Razor and the Longbow 1S-1K “One shot, one kill” sniper rifle.
- Enemies: Over 10 different types of enemies, including Chimera from Resistance 2™ and Resistance: Fall of Man – including the Titan, Slipskull, Hybrids and Leapers – and all new enemies like the Hag and Cloven.
- Multiplayer: Intense eight player multiplayer gameplay with five game modes including Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Containment and Assimilation available via ad-hoc and infrastructure.
- Resistance Franchise: Web based franchise that ties into the Resistance franchise web portal.
Resistance: Retribution is currently scheduled for release in Japan on March 12, 2009, and in North America on March 17, 2009.
More articles about Resistance: Retribution