For fans of all ages, 2009 is gearing up to become another watershed milestone in the timeless franchise by introducing even more new ways to engage, immerse and play within the G.I. Joe® universe. The G.I. Joe video game will feature an exclusive storyline that picks up where the live-action movie leaves off, allowing players to re-create and re-live the greatest moments from the film, cartoon series and action figure toy line. The game will feature 12 G.I. Joe® characters, each with unique abilities and weapons. Adding to the adrenaline rush will be an intense single-screen co-op mode allowing two players to easily unite as a team in a classic struggle between good and evil as they work together to defeat the powers of the COBRA organization.
For more than four decades, G.I. Joe has been one of the premiere brands in the history of boys' toys. Originating the term "action figure” in 1964, Hasbro’s G.I. Joe® brand ushered in a new play pattern that forever changed the scope of the toy industry. The G.I. Joe brand made another revolutionary introduction in 1984 with the release of the G.I. Joe vs. COBRA toy line, which introduced a generation of boys to the heroic G.I. Joe forces, led by Duke, and their epic struggle to defeat the evil COBRA organization. The G.I. Joe vs. COBRA saga featured a diverse cast of characters – both good and evil – that became a part of pop culture through Hasbro’s toy line, an animated television series and best-selling comic book franchise.
- Exclusive all-new storyline that picks up where the film ends and is inspired by 45 years of rich G.I.JOE history
- Two player co-op lets players choose an elite team and call in support from other G.I. JOE characters
- Choose from 16 playable characters (four of which are unlockable COBRA characters) – each with a unique set of abilities and weapons
- Announced G.I. JOE characters include Snake Eyes, Duke, Heavy Duty, Ripcord, Scarlett, Shipwreck and Gung Ho
- Storm Shadow has been revealed as an unlockable playable COBRA character
- Characters are classified into one of three units: Commandos who do well at close range, Heavys who possess extraordinary shooting skills but do it best from a distance and Combat Soldiers who are a balance between the two
- Gear up with the latest in high-tech gadgets like the film-inspired Accelerator Suit which makes you invincible and gives you short bursts of additional fire power
- Drivable G.I. JOE and COBRA vehicles designed for two-player co-op
- Three difficulty levels – appealing to players of all ages and skill levels (Casual, Advanced and Hardcore)
- 20 levels – each with 3-5 areas to explore – across four environments
- 75 file cards and various intelligence items hidden throughout the game which can be used to unlock additional playable characters, special missions, 4 PSAs and other bonus content
- Unique top-down arcade shooter, built from the ground up specifically for the Nintendo DS
- Choose from six G.I. JOE characters and five COBRA characters
- More than 20 missions across four environments, plus playable vehicles
- Create your own G.I. JOE vs. COBRA battles with up to 4 players (via wireless play)
The G.I. Joe video game is under development for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, NDS, and mobile devices, currentrly scheduled to coincide with the movie's August 7, 2009 release.
More articles about G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra