The Killzone 2 v1.24 patch is the biggest one yet, and addresses a large number of reported issues, exploits and bugs - but it also adds new functionality to the game for you to enjoy! It adds 3 new ranks to the game, reached at 5000, 10000 and 100000 points respectively. These ranks do not give any rewards but it allows the real hardcore players to show off their hard work to everyone in-game! Other highlights include a new 17-24 player search game filter, enlarged HUD radar distance and a much requested “Join Clan Member” tab in the join game screen. The patch also allows you to play against the next batch of contenders: Japan, who will be able to buy their copies of Killzone 2 on the 23rd of April and will be joining the community online.
The new ranks are basically a reward to all the players out there that have massive amounts of points, and we hope that it inspires other players to keep on playing. The 17-24 player filter was a direct request from the community because a lot of people think the ’sweet spot’ of the multiplayer levels is around 24 players instead of 32 and are creating custom games accordingly. The Join Clan Member tab was also a direct community request, allowing players to join clan members when they are playing regular non-clan related games.
There has been a lot of discussion on the forums about the lack of a ‘party system’ in Killzone 2 and rest assured, we are working hard on creating features that will make it easier for you to play with your friends online. These features include being able to join the same faction of a friend already in-game directly from the join game menus, manually being able to switch faction during gameplay and making existing squads consistent over multiple rounds; no more need to create a new squad every single round. These features will be coming to a patch near you soon!
Killzone 2 v1.24 fixes:
* AI - Bots now skipping disabled/destroyed MGs in warzone when requesting mounted guns.
* AI - Do not claim waypoints for the previous character when it's dead.
* AI - Fixes bots getting stuck trying to arm/disarm S&D object when mission is already over.
* Campaign - Fix for potential progression bug in Salamun Bridge.
* Clans - User name, not users clan displayed in rankings.
* Clans - Winning 10 Clan Challenges causes the user to become stuck on the medal awards screen.
* Controls - Lean & Peak - Zoom hold on and out of ammo it switches between regular/scope view rapidly.
* Cosmetic - Blue screen tint which indicates scout cloak is occasionally enabled and will remain indefinitely.
* Cosmetic - White squares on the grenade counter merge together when displayed in 1080p.
* Create Game - "Badge Combination" option does not work properly.
* Create Game - Online - "clan only" presets apply even after a player leaves a clan.
* DLC - DLC pack 1 - 'Steel & Titanium' support.
* DLC - New Loading screens advertising the first DLC pack.
* Exploit - Helghan Industries - Player getting out of map fix.
* Exploit - Radec Academy - User is able to gain access to the roof when revived in a specific location.
* Exploit - Reviving player stuck in wall collision can result in him spawning outside level.
* Exploit - Salamun Market - One sided wall allows people to be seen and shot from outside where they cant see or fire out.
* Exploit - Tharsis Depot - Player can get out of the "normal" play area and can get into some sniper/camp spots.
* Feature - Invite player from friends list.
* Feature - Join Clan Member list added.
* Feature - Join Game - 17-24 players filter.
* Feature - MP - Moving while seeing scores after pressing SELECT.
* Feature - The radar/map now has a larger radius.
* Feature - Three additional 'Harcore' Ranks added to the top limits.
* Front-End - Add support to display more than 8 maps when creating a game /challenge/tournament.
* Front-End - Sorting ascending and decending ranks working better in 'Rankings'.
* Front-End - When in a squad, the Valor Trophy is visible in the Squad Tab, however the users rank is not being displayed on top of it.
* Mods - Official tournament to be displayed first followed by custom created tournaments.
* Mods - Additional functionality made avalable to the in-game moderators.
* Network - Server side fix for full games being displayed incorrectly.
* Network - User is unable to use the 'Join Clan Member' tab due to Network Error Code 20002.
* Online - File-synching with the Japanese release of Killzone 2 on the 23rd of April.
* Sound - Turret placing sound continues when killed.
* Stability - Crash when synching gamestate after a full mapcycle.
* Stability - Hang on a screen with a blank message window just before a message appears.
* Stability - Reducing the load on the server related to syncing the buddylist.
* Stats - If a clan wins 24 Clan Challenges and goes to the result screen, the medal acquisition screen, which normally displays when you win 25 games, will display.
* Stats - Number of air-support grenades used by tacticians does not add to the stats of joined user correctly.
* Stats - Number of spawn-grenades used by tacticians does not add to the stats of joined user correctly.
* Stats - User sometimes does not receive 1000 valor award when winning 10 Clan Challenges.
* Text - % character not displayed correctly on the creating game dialogue box after selecting to create game.
* Text - If a client receives an invite from a clan which has a '$' character in the clan name, the recipient will get kicked.
* Text - Italian localization fix.
* Text - Japanese localization fix.
* Tournament - Game decides winner if one of the two teams doesn't spawn in.
* Trophies - Wargod trophy unlocking pre-maturely.
Throughout the campaign, players will encounter lifelike and adaptable artificial intelligence (A.I.) from enemies as well as fellow soldiers, destructible environments, and stunningly detailed scenery. Additionally, players will be tasked with utilizing a host of new weapons and vehicles in the war to stop the Helghast. Featuring an extensive single-player campaign and thrilling multi-player mode, Killzone 2 delivers a host of new gameplay elements and an intense storyline that will once again drive gamers to join the ranks of the ISA and fight the Helghast…this time on the enemy's home planet.
Two years after the Helghast assault on Vekta, the ISA is taking the fight to the enemy's home world of Helghan. The ISA goal is direct: capture the Helghast leader, Emperor Visari, and bring the Helghast war machine to a halt. Assuming the role of Sev, a battle-hardened veteran and a member of the special forces unit known as the Legion, players will lead a group of highly trained soldiers on a mission to take out the Helghast threat. For Sev and his squad, the invasion of Helghan is just the beginning. Tasked with securing Pyrrhus, the Capital City, the team quickly discovers that the Helghast are a formidable enemy on their home planet. Not only have they adjusted to the planet's hostile conditions, they have also harnessed a source of power they can now use against the ISA. Sev discovers his squad isn't just fighting enemy forces – their fiercest opponent may be the planet itself.
The first DLC pack, called “Steel and Titanium”, will contain two brand new multiplayer maps with new gameplay elements and strategic twists, scheduled for release on April 30, 2009 for $5.99.
Wasteland Bullet Vekta Cruiser
The first map in the pack is Wasteland Bullet, and the action will take place on the bullet train that and transports goods and troops between Pyrrhus and the Wasteland. The game is a frenzied firefight to wrestle control of the train from the enemy and into the hands of your faction. With the train moving at full speed, players will need to remain aware of the immediate environment as well as enemies – hitting an overhead obstacle at this speed will mean instant death.
The second map, Vekta Cruiser, will find ISA troops boarding a vast ship with the goal to repel a force of assaulting Helghast troops while also protecting the cruiser itself from heavy Helghan fire. The action takes place entirely indoors in a frantic and claustrophobic battle where attackers lurk around every corner.
- Experience realistic, highly atmospheric environments that respond dynamically to the violent conditions on the planet Helghan.
- Witness the devastating effects of Helghan's climate as it forces you and your enemies to adapt to new tactics.
- Control an arsenal of new and unique weapons and vehicles, in addition to trusty Killzone classics like the M82-G and the StA-52 LA.
- Face off against fearsome enemies who have learned to wield the hostility of Helghan itself against their opponents.
- Between Killzone 2's unique visual style, the power of PS3, the use of EDGE tools, and the proprietary technology developed by Guerrilla, the game promises to impress players with its benchmark visuals, smooth character animation, detailed, effect-laden environments, and realtime cutscenes.
- Experience a beautifully lit world brought to life by deferred rendering technology. Multiple shadows casting light sources bring out the highly detailed environments and character animations.
- With true next-gen audio the player is further immersed in the world, supporting 7.1 surround and location-specific audio with wave tracing. Players will not only notice the difference between indoor and outdoor but also experience sound and music that are dynamic and contextual.
- Studio grade special effects will provide unprecedented visual fidelity. With full screen anti-aliasing, motion blur, internal lens reflections, and depth-based color grading, players will experience a picture that is sharp, smooth, and full of detail.
Killzone 2 is currently available worldwide.
More articles about Killzone 2