In Patapon 2 players are tasked with leading the colorful Patapons, a brave and noble tribe now in an unfamiliar land, through a series of epic battles against the opposing army and gigantic monsters. In a distinct gameplay twist, action and rhythm are intertwined as players utilize drumbeats to march, attack, and defend, ultimately leading the Patapon tribe to victory. Delivering more content and better gameplay in the single-player experience and introducing multi-player gameplay to the franchise through Game Sharing, Patapon 2 brings back the scampering eyeballs armed and more ready than ever for battle.
With 200%+ more content than the original, Patapon 2 features close to a hundred missions in a variety of new vivid 2D environments. Players will outfit their Patapon army, collect resources, and grow their tribe into a devastating fighting force. Patapon 2 also presents new Patapon characters, including bird riders, robots and magicians. In this new adventure users will find even more rare Patapons and special weapons and equipment to equip and create an innumerable variety of squad combinations. Patapon 2 also introduces a fully customizable new warrior: Hero Patapon. Three additional drum beat commands have been added to enhance the robust tactical options and, of course, new songs are included for the missions, mini games and multiplayer play.
In Patapon 2, players use a variety of warrior types, along with a wide selection of weapon and shield upgrades, to strategically customize and position their army as they progress through this even funkier adventure. Players will easily get caught up in the addictive action by collecting rare weapons and items as the adventure unfolds, and by earning more points to upgrade to new Patapons. With vibrant character designs by popular French graphic artist, Rolito, Patapon introduces a unique, 2D art style incorporating abstract shapes and colorful environments.
Having reached the sea cliffs on their tiny island in Patapon 1, the Patapons endless search for Earthend forces them to venture the high seas, where they battle both tempests and sea monsters of every kind. After a blood curdling battle with a giant sea beast, the Patapons’ ship crashes on the shores of a strange land and even stranger inhabitants. Who are these masked creatures that call themselves the Karmens and why are they trying to stop the Patapons from reaching Earthend? The mystery and adventures continue as the Patapons fight to reach their destiny in Patapon 2!
Multiplayer mode takes place in a parallel universe accessible only to Hero Patapons. The gateway to this realm is the Patagate, and it is here that you’ll join forces with other Hero Patapons in order to fight through all the levels you’ve unlocked in single player mode. This is a mortal eyeball-to-eyeball battle, and your rhythm skills will be tested as you and your three friends fight without the support of your vast Patapon army.
To kick off a game, just go into the Patagate and select from one of the options: Bring Mysterious Egg, Game Sharing or Play Alone.
Bring Mysterious Egg
What are these eggs? Where do you find them? Wasn’t Easter a long time ago? Well, as you make your progress through Patapon 2 (single player mode), some of the bosses you defeat will drop an egg as part of the reward of beating them, and inside these eggs are the special masks available for Hero Patapon…so once you’ve acquired an egg, you’ve got to take it to the Patagate to crack it open and whisk the insides into an omelets of musical greatness. But before you can get a crackin’, you must first prove your worthiness by defeating the enemy you got the egg from!
The mission is simple: Work together to carry the egg from Point A to Point B within a set amount of time. Simple enough right? Trouble is, you’ll have at least one nasty boss or a ton of angry Karmen soldiers in your way. In single player, you had a full Patapon army that had your back, now it’s just you and 3 other friends…well…“super-powered” friends that is. If this sounds a bit difficult, worry ye not, victory is actually quite simple.
Just make sure to outfit each Hero Patapon with the best armament available…and when in battle, make sure that you and all your friends keep true to the rhythm of the earth! If all four of you work together and coordinate when you all March, Attack, and Defend together as a unit, victory will be yours!
Once you and your merry band of Heroes beat all the obstacles before you, the game changes to “DON CHAKA” mode. Here you and your co-players rhythm are tested once again. By hitting the right drum beats at the right time, you will be awarded great riches that you can spend in single player. If you hit every beat, you crack the egg and get the secret that lies within!
If by some horrible chance, your friends don’t have Patapon 2 (if this is true, why even call them friends?) well, then you must teach the ways of the drum via Game Sharing. This way, even if they don’t have Patapon 2, they can still help you out in your Egg breaking mission. Just fire up the Game Sharing option and have your friends download multiplayer mode from your PSP to theirs. Once that’s complete, they will be able to join you in battle in cracking the Mysterious Egg and unlocking Mask greatness.
But what if you happen to be flying solo for the night with no wing-man to help you out? If that is the case, just select Play Alone and fill in the other three spots with ComPons – A.I. Hero Patapons that will help you crack the Mysterious Egg.
Note: Every voyage through the Patagate requires four Hero Patapons, but don’t worry if you are short of one person for Game Sharing or Bring Mysterious Egg modes. You’ll be able to fill in any empty slot with a ComPon.
- Rhythm and Action Collide – Master all 8 drum rhythms including the new jump command, power up command and party command! Combine the various chains of drumbeats to address each unique level, leading the Patapons to victory over the masked Karmens.
- Patapon Evolution – Improve your troops fighting and defense skills by leveling up or evolving into other Patapon forms.
- Create your own Patapon Hero- Introducing the new Patapon Hero, a prized fighter that you can customize to fit any sort of fighting style desired. Unlock new abilities by mixing weapons and Patapon Hero masks.
- Additional Patapons - Discover the new ranks of Patapons: Toripon the flying bird riders; Robopon mech warriors and Mahopon the magicians. Unlock these new warriors to fight alongside all the original warriors in Patapon.
- Multi-player Mode – Patapon 2 introduces multiplayer gameplay through Game Sharing
- Three Additional Commands and Miracles – More drumbeat commands allow for different tactics and gameplay action in this version of Patapon.
- Strategic Gaming – Patapon delivers a strong element of strategy by requiring players to properly customize and build up the Patapon army, arm each soldier with particular weapons and armor, and position them correctly for battle. In Patapon 2, not only has the number of weapons and equipment doubled, but Patapons can evolve, and Hero Patapon customization features will play an important part in deciding each battle!
- Mission Variety – Take part in more than 80 specific missions including hunting, escort, and boss battles, and explore numerous vivid environments along the way. Players will discover up to 22 bosses and access hundreds of new items and weapons throughout the adventure.
- Unique Art Style – French graphic artist Rolito, noted for his abstract art style seen in collectible toys, animation, and websites, lends his skills to create a variety of unique characters and environments, bringing the Patapon world to life.
- Mini-Games – Seven music-based mini-games allow players to earn bonuses and upgrades to further customize the Patapon warriors.
- Music – Captivating and dramatic original music builds dynamically as players march and encounter enemy battles throughout each level.
Patapon 2 is currently scheduled for May 5, 2009 for $19.99 USD, both the retail voucher and the PSN download.
More articles about Patapon 2