The v1.040 update includes a number of important changes to gameplay, such as an accumulating time factor that influences leader initiative, lower initial amphibious transport capacity, reduced Confederate ironclad production and adjustments to supply costs for depots and forts, among others. It is strongly recommended that players read through and print out the Rules Addendum (added to the Documentation folder by this update) to see all the important changes with references to the relevant manual sections. The in-game tutorials have been updated to reflect the rule changes, but the video tutorials do not include any of the rules changes that have been included in the patches made since the initial game release in June 2008.
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “It’s no surprise to us why Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States has won so many awards. In fact, some of us feel that this is arguably the best game design in Gary Grigsby’s hall of fame career, and it just keeps getting better. This new update adds more reasons, if any more were needed, for any American Civil War fan to pick up this game right away.”
Taking gamers back to the start of the American Civil War, Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.
Promote and cultivate talented young colonels or brigadiers to build Corps and Army commanders that will help you fight and manage the war effort from battles to training of recruits with the utmost efficiency and success. An innovative multi-faceted rank promotion system allows leaders to gain in abilities and power based on their successes, while also simulating the historical progression of leaders during the war. Each decision you make must be weighed carefully, as promoting and demoting leaders, entering neutral states, raising troops and many other actions cost you the political capital that will determine your ability to achieve victory.
This update is comprehensive and will bring any previous version of War Between the States to version 1.040.
- Use wisdom and strategy to appoint the best leader for the job – With an innovative new system, units train and function best with the right leader. Weigh the strengths and weakness of the men commanding your armies to maximize unit attributes like attack, defense, movement, initiative probability, and training.
- Play on the edge of your seat with a suspenseful battle resolution system – Watch the push and pull of forces as the battle unfolds that will make or break your plans resolve.
- Master critical Cavalry Scouting and Raiding and penetrate deep into enemy territory - With the optional Fog of War rule, cavalry scouting becomes even more important. The Confederate early war cavalry advantage is accurately simulated.
- Achieve naval superiority with a realistic and complete naval war model – Harass and interrupt critical trade routes with a Union blockade and or Confederate commerce raiders. Build river gunboats and transports to control the “Father of Waters” and conduct amphibious assaults by river or sea.
- Fortify and Entrench – Entrench your armies and build permanent fortifications to protect strategic locations and interdict river movement.
- Conserve your Political Capital – Use it prudently to call for new troops, change leaders and enter neutral states. Build it up through successes and keep it high enough to secure final victory.
More articles about Gary Grigsby's War Between the States