War in Europe: Windows Edition is a computer moderated simulation of the European Theater of Operations in World War II, based on the board game of the same name. Players control ground, air, sea, strategic forces, production and politics in order to change or simulate the events of World War II. The game features brigade to corps-sized ground units, fleets of surface ships, U-Boats, transports, and amphibious assault ships, and tactical and strategic airpower.
There is no "computer player" in the game. Players make all critical decisions, including when and on whom to declare war, planning campaign strategy, and executing sweeping movements, "blitzkriegs," bombing raids, airborne drops and amphibious assaults.
- OS : Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista (XP/Vista recommended)
- CPU : Pentium III 800Mhz(Pentium 4, 1.2Ghz recommended)
- RAM : 128 MB (256 MB recommended)
- Screen : Minimum resolution 1024x768, 16 bit color
- HD : 50MB free space
- Windows Compatible Sound Card and Mouse
- Battle on any of three different fronts - War In the West (2 player, Allies versus Axis), War In the East (2 player, Soviets versus Axis) and War In Europe (3 player, Axis versus Allies/Soviets).
- Game play consists of either scenarios or campaigns. Scenarios are shorter games focused on a single major offensive of WWII, for example, the 1940 German assault on France. Campaigns start from a specified date and continue through May '45, or the defeat of one side. There are 10 scenarios and 16 campaigns from which to choose.
- The main display is a unique "tabbed map display" that allows each player to define and maintain his own set of multiple map views. Set up views of critical combat areas allow one-click switching between areas of interest; set different display overlays for each map view; center any map view on any named location or hex.
- Multiple map overlays available on any map view: show supply net, hex ownership, air range, unit ZOC. Overlays can be toggled using hot keys.
- Support for any screen resolution (minimum resolution 1024x768).
- Playing time varies from less than an hour, for the introductory Poland '39 scenario, to 300+ hours for the full War In Europe 1939 campaign.
- PBEM is fully integrated into the program. You can easily manage multiple simultaneous PBEM games against different opponents. Enter an email address for each player, and the program will automatically send turns to them using your installed email program at the appropriate time. When receiving turns from other players, drop the attached file into the program's "In Box" directory, and the file is automatically stored into the correct game directory.
- For PBEM games, a "browse mode" is available to allow you to load and review your own forces while you wait for an opponent to complete and return his turn.
- For PBEM games, full tracking of load/save actions is provided to detect "multiple restarting" of turns to avoid unfavorable die rolls.
- Support for color-blind players by allowing each user to specify customizable icons, allowing color-blind players to create personalized unit colors.
- Native support for any 32 bit Windows operating system. Support for other platforms (Mac and Linux) can be achieved via suitable windows emulation software.
- Multiple map tile sets are supplied to allow players to choose the style of map they want. Additional user-created map tile sets are fully supported: simply create the required bitmap and drop it into the game directory. The game will show the custom tile set as a selectable option when starting a new game.
War in Europe: Windows Edition is currently available for order (Includes CD & Manual) for $60.00
More articles about War in Europe: Windows Edition