After an age of warfare, the superpowers of the land of Valoran have come together to form a governing body that will settle all disputes behind the closed doors of the Institute of War. Their task is a noble one — to lift the impossible weight of bloody war off the shoulders of the world and place it upon a select few — The League of Legends. On the Fields of Justice, legendary Champions forge alliances and resolve their differences in battle arenas. In the League there is one rule that reigns over all else: Winner rules all.
In League of Legends, players take on the role of a persistent Summoner avatar that gazes upon the battlefield from above and influences battles by taking command of a chosen Champion. During each online multiplayer play session, gamers will choose one of dozens of unique Champions wielding diverse skills and abilities, and engage in fast-paced team-oriented combat to bring their foes to ruin. Champions will gain levels, items, and abilities that enable them to slay their opponents and augment the strength of their allies by battling with enemy minions, foul beasts, deadly turrets and enemy Champions. Players also advance their Summoner’s rank and power to gain new abilities and items, assisting their Champions in battle.
League of Legends emphasizes team-oriented gameplay and players must work together in order to defeat the opposing team. Players will be able to communicate easily through in-game lounges and chat rooms, and forums will act as a conversational hub for a wide variety of discussions amongst community members. League of Legends will feature custom-built multiplayer support including matchmaking, stat tracking, clan support, anti-cheat systems, dedicated in-game ladders and Leaverbuster technology. In addition to extensive multiplayer features, League of Legends will include a single-player mode where players can learn how to play and practice new strategies by engaging robust Bot-AI.
Ashe, Frost Archer
As a direct descendant of Avarosa, one of the three legendary sisters who each claimed dominion over the scattered tribes dwelling in icy tundra known as Freljord, Ashe mirrors her ancestor’s unparalleled mastery with the bow. Ashe has come to the Institute of War in service to the Institute’s summoners, seeking enough influence and favor to finally bring peace to her realm – a realm that has endured civil strife since the Time of the Three Sisters. With enough victories under her belt, she hopes to have the means to finally claim the throne that had long eluded Avarosa.
Ashe is one of but a few hearty souls from Freljord who can claim the title of Frost Archer. Along with mastery of the bow, Ashe is renowned for her resourcefulness even in the most dire of environments. She has mastered the ability to channel the frigid climate of the tundra into her arrows, slowing her foes with but a single flick of her wrist. She can even deliver a vicious shot from hundreds of yards away that freezes even the strongest of foes in their tracks. As tenacious as she is beautiful, she has earned the respect of ally and foe alike in the Fields of Justice.
- Frost Shot (Active) - Toggle ability, While on, each of Ashe's attacks slow her target's movement speed at the cost of mana.
- Volley (Active) - Ashe fires 9 arrows in a cone for 150% damage. Volley slows enemies based on your current level of Frost Shot.
- Archers Mark (Passive) - Each time Ashe kills a unit, she gains some extra gold.
- Enchanted Crystal Arrow (Active) - Ashe fires a missile at any point on the map. If the arrow encounters a champion it damages him and nearby enemies. These units are stunned for up to 5 secs, based on how far the arrow has traveled.
- Focus (Passive) - While out of combat, Ashe's critical strike chance increases every 3 seconds, but lasts for only one attack.
Sivir, Battle Mistress
The beautiful and deadly mercenary known as Sivir has earned many titles throughout her illustrious career, but the one she held until recently was “Battle Mistress of Nox”. Now, however, she is known as “The Battle Mistress” after breaking her contract with the Noxian High Command. Sivir dared to object to the Noxian war against the peaceful island state of Ionia; her predictions of a bloody stalemate came true when the Ionians held off the relentless assaults of the Noxians. Claiming that the Noxian High Command had lost its direction, she left Nox and made her services available to the Institute of War. The Noxian High Command have sent a number of contracted assassins to deal with their rogue mercenary, but none have yet to deliver… or survive.
The Battle Mistress brings an unparalleled mastery of bladed weaponry and battlefield tactics to the Fields of Justice. Her weapon of choice is the “crossblade” – a large four-bladed weapon that she uses as a ranged weapon. She may hurl it with such force that all foes in her way are wounded twice – once as the weapon flies past them, and then again as it returns effortlessly to Sivir. She has mastered the ability to ricochet the crossblade off her foes, inflicting grievous wounds to multiple opponents. Her skill and experience in combat allow her to not only anticipate the tactics of her foes, but also lead her compatriots to victory by bestowing increased movement and combat haste. Time and time again, Sivir proves that she has earned the right to call herself “The Battle Mistress”.
- Spiral Blade (Active) - Sivir hurls her Crossblade like a boomerang, dealing damage each way.
- Ricochet (Active) - Each of Sivir's attacks will bounce between targets, dealing reduced damage with each successive hit.
- Spell Shield (Active) - Creates a magical barrier which blocks a single enemy spell cast on Sivir. Lasts up to 20 seconds.
- On The Hunt (Active) - Grants Sivir and nearby allies faster movement and attack speeds for a short period.
- Sprint (Passive) - Sivir has an increased chance to dodge attacks while moving.
Key Features :
- Play as dozens of unique Champions with diverse skills and abilities while engaging in fast-paced team-oriented combat.
- Compete in a variety of highly stylized and unique handcrafted battle scenarios.
- Create your own persistent Summoner avatar and customize your appearance through achievements that you earn in game.
- Advance your Summoner in rank and power to gain skills and abilities that give you an edge in battle.
- Join clans and teams to compete with other players in tournaments and organized leagues.
- Assemble Legendary items for your Champion by forging together basic items you obtain on the battlefield. Choose from over 200 uniquely crafted items to augment your Champion's power.
- Robust matchmaking and detailed stat tracking help to ensure balanced games for new players and veterans alike.
- Unlock new content through persistent gameplay and mastering the game.
- Integrated LeaverbusterTM technology helps ensure people stay for the whole game!
- Participate in the creation of League of Legends through our Suggestion Engine the community will have an unprecedented voice in what new content is created and implemented into the game.
And much, much more...
The League of Legends community will feature an abundance of ongoing events including tournaments, leagues and contests. The Riot development team will open their doors for community input, allowing gamers to have their opinions heard, have their ideas implemented in League of Legends and continue to shape the game as it evolves post-launch. Gamers can already join the community forums to begin tracking the new title, engage with the Riot team and other players and become a part of the development process for League of Legends.
League of Legends is being designed by a decorated group of developers with credits that include PC & console blockbusters, as well as part of the team that created the popular Warcraft 3 mod DotA-Allstars.
More articles about League of Legends