Working closely with Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. and acclaimed development studio Terminal Reality, Atari will bring this completely new story to advanced gaming platforms coinciding with the 25th anniversary celebration of the film’s original theatrical release. Ghostbusters: The Video Game, based on the smash hit motion picture franchise, also reunites original cast members to recapture the unique blend of humour and fright that established Ghostbusters as a pop culture sensation.
Teamwork is what being a Ghostbuster is all about so Terminal Reality have worked with Three Wave Software, a triple-A multiplayer developer, to create an exciting and original multiplayer component in Ghostbusters: The Video Game for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC platforms.
Offering gamers the unique opportunity to play as one of the four original Ghostbusters, an option not available in the single player game, the multiplayer is a fast-paced, co-operative experience. Taking place on an average phantom-packed day for the Ghostbusters team, players will work together to contain supernatural phenomena around the city while competing to earn the biggest pay check.
Included in the Slimer Edition ($129.99):
- An exclusive Slimer bust designed and created by the original movie sculptor, Steve Johnson. Comes complete with a certificate of authenticity signed by the sculptor himself.
- Exclusive Ghostbusters Minimates. Only be available with the Slimer Edition.
- Exclusive Ghostbusters Gamer Graffix Console Skins.
- Exclusive Ecto 1 Key Chain with lights and sound.
- Unique Multiplayer Features:
- Play as one of the Ghostbusters: Choose to play as any one of the four original Ghostbusters or the rookie;
- Unique Achievements: Players are given scores and ranks for each match that are also applied to their online profile. Difficulty scaling is available according to rank;
- 6 Unique Power-ups: To help players on even the trickiest of jobs, unique power-ups such as the Ghost Shrinker or Ethereal Shield are available;
- Limited Ammunition: To ensure teamwork, players must pick up ammunition for each type of equipment with ammunition levels being shown on the proton pack;
- Unique AI Features: To add another dimension to the hunting, wrangling and trapping experience of being a Ghostbuster, ghosts have unique AI features such as more aggressive behaviour, the power to sabotage traps and the ability to fuse with other ghosts;
- Full VOIP support: Voice support for both Xbox 360 and PS3 allows for easy communication between players.
- Two Multiplayer Co-op Game Modes:
- Instant Action: players can test their mettle in a variety of Job Types across a selection of 12 different maps to see if they’ve got what it takes to be a true Ghostbuster;
- Campaign Mode: players work through one of four different environments busting ghosts to earn cash and upgrade their equipment.
- Two Player Co-op Split Screen Campaign Mode (Wii only):
- Team up with friends and family on the same screen to help each other out during the hunting, wrangling and trapping of ghosts in order to save New York from its latest paranormal plague;
- Add some friendly competition by seeing who can do the least (or most!) damage as the dollars add up with the amount of damage caused;
- Switch from single player to two player (Wii only): At any time, players can return to the Firehouse hub to launch a mission or previously completed levels as either a one or two player game;
- Choose to play as either the male or female rookie (Wii only): Player 1 chooses which rookie character to play, Player 2 plays as the other rookie character.
- 12 maps across 4 themed environments:
- Six Unique Job Types:
- Survival: Survive a paranormal onslaught
- Containment: Capture all the ghosts
- Destruction: Eliminate mysterious artefacts to prevent spawning ghosts
- Protection: Protect Egon’s devices
- Thief: Save the artefacts from being stolen by ghosts
- Slime Dunk: Dunk the most Slimers
- Online Multiplayer Features:
- Leaderboards and player statistics: have you got what it takes to be the world’s greatest Ghostbuster?
- Ranking: Skill and rank based matchmaking is available.
- Most Wanted Ghosts: these ghosts appear are special ghosts that appear mid game based on the experience of the current players - it’s your job to trap them all.
Ghostbusters: The Video Game was penned by original Ghostbusters writers Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd and reunites members of the original cast for the first time in 20 years. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson lend their voices and in-game likenesses to the original story set two years after Ghostbusters II, with Manhattan once again overrun by ghosts and supernatural forces. The game also features performances from fan favourites such as William Atherton (Walter Peck), Annie Potts (Janine Melnitz) and Brian Doyle-Murray (portraying Mayor Jock Mulligan).
The player joins up as a new recruit with the original team, testing a variety of unique equipment and gadgets, to track, wrangle and trap this wide range of awe-inspiring phantasms in an all new funny and frightening battle to save New York City from its latest paranormal plague.
Key Features :
- Authentic Ghostbusters Experience: The game features the voices and in-game likenesses of Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson in an original story penned by the writers of the original films Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis
- Unique gameplay: Experience unique ghost hunting, wrangling and trapping with upgradeable weapons in widely destructible environments and large scale boss fights
- All New Storyline – Set two years after Ghostbusters II, the game will feature an all new storyline as the player battles and captures well-loved and brand new ghosts throughout New York
Ghostbusters: The Video Game, in development for PS3, PS2, Xbox 360, PC, Wii and NDS, will launch on June 16th in North America and in Europe on June 19th, but only on PS2/PS3, with other edition, including a PSP version, scheduled for later this year..
The launch will also leverage Atari’s worldwide distribution network to maximize the presence of Ghostbusters: The Video Game around the globe as Sony marks the film’s upcoming 25th anniversary.
More articles about Ghostbusters: The Video Game