Powered by Unreal Engine 3, Shadow Complex features the best of old school side-scroller design combined with modern, cutting-edge gameplay and incredible high-definition graphics. Players collect power-ups, discover new abilities and evolve their character into a force of destruction as they explore an original new story set in the world of Orson Scott Card’s best-selling novel, “Empire.” Shadow Complex marries the quality and depth of a full retail title with the accessibility players expect from Xbox Live Arcade.
Shadow Complex propels lost hiker Jason Fleming into the hollows of government conspiracy, dark politics and military upheaval. When Jason and his girlfriend, Claire, accidentally stumble upon a rogue paramilitary group called the Restoration, it soon becomes clear that the faction’s intent is to set in motion a chain of events that will cause America to collapse into a civil war.
Assumed to be a government agent, the Restoration captures Claire, and while this initially fuels Jason’s motivation to find justice, he soon discovers the magnitude of what the sinister offshoot has planned. Along the way, Jason acquires many high-tech “toys” the Restoration is developing, and eventually becomes a super-powered engine of destruction.
"Shadow Complex completely redefines the bar for Xbox Live Arcade. It’s a testament to why Xbox Live is the clear choice in downloadable excellence" said Ken Lobb, creative director of Microsoft Game Studios. "XBLA look out, here comes the next UE3-powered smash!"
“The partnership between Epic Games and Microsoft Game Studios has resulted in Gears of War becoming one of the most successful video game franchises of all time, and we’re thrilled to further strengthen that relationship with the introduction of our newest game property,” said Dr. Michael Capps, president of Epic Games. “Just as Gears of War did for Xbox 360 games, we hope Shadow Complex will show the true potential of the Unreal Engine and Xbox Live Arcade.”
Shadow Complex provides a fresh twist on classic side-scroller action by delivering an original single-player adventure that unfolds across a range of non-linear levels. Gameplay centers around exploration and fast-paced combat as players gather power-ups to overcome obstacles, thwart enemies, and delve into a mysterious and challenging world. Shadow Complex features an extensive campaign that is on par with the length and quality of contemporary triple-A retail releases in a downloadable pick-up-and play Xbox LIVE Arcade package. Your game will live on, as multiple play-throughs are required to obtain all the game’s items and power-ups.
Key Features :
- Original single-player experience inspired by classic side-scrolling genre
- Open world design that evolves as the player explores and progresses through the game
- Huge, mysterious game world populated with legions of enemies, challenges, and jaw-dropping boss battles
- Many unique game altering power-ups and more than 100 additional items and enhancements to discover
- Intense game play infused with a compelling action-thriller storyline
- Incredible graphics with robust physics, made possible by Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 3
- Set in a compelling universe based upon the best-selling novel, Empire, by Orson Scott Card
- Extensive campaign mode of 10+ hours with engaging scenarios and fiction – lengthier and more in-depth than any other downloadable game on Xbox LIVE Arcade to date
- High graphical bar with superior visual style and design sensibility
- Marries the quality and depth of a blockbuster game with the pick-up-and-play fun you’ve come to expect from Xbox LIVE Arcade.
Microsoft Game Studios' Shadow Complex, developed by Epic’s Utah-based Chair Entertainment Group, will be coming to Xbox Live Arcade this summer.
More articles about Shadow Complex