After an age of warfare, the superpowers of the land of Valoran have come together to form a governing body that will settle all disputes behind the closed doors of the Institute of War. Their task is a noble one — to lift the impossible weight of bloody war off the shoulders of the world and place it upon a select few — The League of Legends. On the Fields of Justice, legendary Champions forge alliances and resolve their differences in battle arenas. In the League there is one rule that reigns over all else: Winner rules all.
In League of Legends, players take on the role of a persistent Summoner avatar that gazes upon the battlefield from above and influences battles by taking command of a chosen Champion. During each online multiplayer play session, gamers will choose one of dozens of unique Champions wielding diverse skills and abilities, and engage in fast-paced team-oriented combat to bring their foes to ruin. Champions will gain levels, items, and abilities that enable them to slay their opponents and augment the strength of their allies by battling with enemy minions, foul beasts, deadly turrets and enemy Champions. Players also advance their Summoner’s rank and power to gain new abilities and items, assisting their Champions in battle.
League of Legends emphasizes team-oriented gameplay and players must work together in order to defeat the opposing team. Players will be able to communicate easily through in-game lounges and chat rooms, and forums will act as a conversational hub for a wide variety of discussions amongst community members. League of Legends will feature custom-built multiplayer support including matchmaking, stat tracking, clan support, anti-cheat systems, dedicated in-game ladders and Leaverbuster technology. In addition to extensive multiplayer features, League of Legends will include a single-player mode where players can learn how to play and practice new strategies by engaging robust Bot-AI.
Sion - Undead Abomination
The history of war between Demacia and Nox extends as far back as the founding of the respective cities in Valoran. A recent product of this conflict was the murderous Noxian warrior, Sion. Used by the Noxians as a human battering ram, Sion would be sent thundering ahead of Noxian troops. He would mercilessly slaughter foes with his large double handed axe, "Chopper". His complete disregard for caution would ultimately cost him his life, and he was captured and summarily executed by Demacian forces. The Demacians thought that the beheading of Sion would be the end of his bloodthirsty ways. Death, however, was merely the beginning. The famed Noxian assassin Katarina recovered Sion's remains and Noxian necromancers reanimated the behemoth to serve Nox once again.
Sion emerged from the reanimation process even more brutal than before. His gaze alone would now stop foes in dead in their tracks. His skin thickened considerably, increasing the amount of damage the already brutish beast could withstand. He could focus his rage into attacks that cause near-crippling damage at the expense of his own health. Finally, he could drain the very essence of life out of his foes, replenishing himself and his allies. The one thing, however, that the Noxian necromancers did not anticipate upon reanimation was Sion's change of loyalty; his new powers have given Sion a desire to seek his own glory in undeath as a champion of the Institute of War.
- Cryptic Gaze: Blasts a single enemy, dealing Magic Damage and stunning for 2 seconds
- Death’s Caress: Sion surrounds himself with a shield which absorbs damage. If the shield is not destroyed in 10 seconds it will explode dealing Magic Damage to surrounding enemies
- Enrage: Increase Sion's damage and he gains Health per kill
- Cannabalism: Grants Sion Lifesteal and 45% Attack Speed for 20 seconds, additionally Sion's attacks heal surrounding allies for a percent of damage dealt
- Feel No Pain: Each time Sion is attacked, he has a chance to ignore a portion of the damage
Evelynn's origins are clouded in mystery, though it is clear upon first seeing her that she is not quite human. Some theorize that she was cursed with a mild form of vampirism as a child. Others suggest that her savagery in combat was so great that she has magically morphed into the hungering beast she is in combat. Evelynn simply smiles when hearing these stories, baring her razor-sharp fangs and teeth. Whether or not she herself knows her origins is unclear, but her recent admission into the Institute of War as a champion has certainly gained the attention of summoners more focused on the here and now.
Evelynn's dark blue skin and her heat-sensitive eyes are ideal for her role as an assassin. When she is able to approach an enemy undetected, she will often catch them by surprise. Unless an enemy is quite resilient, that will often spell the end for her opponent. She has a chance to initially stun her unsuspecting opponent, and then furthering harming a foe so long as she remains behind her prey. Should she actually finish off her hapless victim, she becomes filled with bloodlust and even can replenish her own health.
While Evelynn may have been given her title of "The Widowmaker" through legend, she earns it time and time again in the Fields of Justice.
- Shadow Walk: Evelynn fades away, becoming Stealthed for a few seconds. Evelynn's next attack or damage ability will stun that unit, ending her Shadow Walk. 1.5 sec delay on Stealth (delayed by damage). Evelynn can cast Shadow Walk while Stealthed to destealth
- Ravage: Deals damage to target unit. If Ravage was used from behind, it reduces the target's armor for 5 seconds
Hate Spike: Instantly spikes a random nearby energy with malevolent energy, dealing Magical Damage
- Malice and Spite: Evelynn takes pleasure when enemies are slain. Each time an enemy champion dies, Evelynn gains attack speed and movement speed for 20 seconds (non-stacking). If Evelynn was the killer, she is also healed for 50% of the target's maximum health
- Silent Killer: Evelynn's attacks do not trigger calls for help. Turrets and minions will only attack her when she is the closest target
Key Features :
- Play as dozens of unique Champions with diverse skills and abilities while engaging in fast-paced team-oriented combat.
- Compete in a variety of highly stylized and unique handcrafted battle scenarios.
- Create your own persistent Summoner avatar and customize your appearance through achievements that you earn in game.
- Advance your Summoner in rank and power to gain skills and abilities that give you an edge in battle.
- Join clans and teams to compete with other players in tournaments and organized leagues.
- Assemble Legendary items for your Champion by forging together basic items you obtain on the battlefield. Choose from over 200 uniquely crafted items to augment your Champion's power.
- Robust matchmaking and detailed stat tracking help to ensure balanced games for new players and veterans alike.
- Unlock new content through persistent gameplay and mastering the game.
- Integrated LeaverbusterTM technology helps ensure people stay for the whole game!
- Participate in the creation of League of Legends through our Suggestion Engine the community will have an unprecedented voice in what new content is created and implemented into the game.
And much, much more...
The League of Legends community will feature an abundance of ongoing events including tournaments, leagues and contests. The Riot development team will open their doors for community input, allowing gamers to have their opinions heard, have their ideas implemented in League of Legends and continue to shape the game as it evolves post-launch. Gamers can already join the community forums to begin tracking the new title, engage with the Riot team and other players and become a part of the development process for League of Legends.
League of Legends is being designed by a decorated group of developers with credits that include PC & console blockbusters, as well as part of the team that created the popular Warcraft 3 mod DotA-Allstars. Riot will invite players into the League of Legends beta in 2009.
More articles about League of Legends