Cities XL allows gamers to develop cities on realistic 3D maps using an incredible collection of unique structures and monuments based on American, Asian and European-influenced architectural styles. The maps feature a variety of environments: mountains, hills, canyons, beaches and islands, all set in different climates from tropical to desert, Mediterranean to temperate. Players must create the right combinations of social services, leisure activities, special events and other job opportunities within their cities in order to feed, clothe, employ and entertain their citizens. Be it planning and building a new zoo, public park, residential neighborhood or transit system - there's always a fresh and exciting challenge for would-be city managers and mayors in Cities XL.
The game’s online features and services will allow players to create interconnected cities on virtual and persistent planets. Mayors can share and trade with one another, specialize their economy and team up with befriended cities to create sprawling metropolises. Life on the planet will be punctuated by events and competitions - a concert held in one town may, for example, be attended by visitors from other areas who can also enjoy a walk around the city to admire the urban creations of multiple players. By combining a fantastic single-player game with the social and multiplayer aspects of an MMO, Cities XL will shape the future of the genre by offering more variety, bigger cities and multiple gameplay layers.
In the Beta programme, mayors can trade with one another, manage their economy and team up with neighbouring cities to create sprawling metropolises. The Beta version of CITIES XL is fully playable with online elements fully implemented.
“We’re delighted to have reached this milestone in the development of CITIES XL with the start of the Beta programme,” said Jerome Gastaldi, CEO of Monte Cristo, “We can’t wait to see how players interact with CITIES XL to create some amazing cities, and of course it will be an incredibly valuable testing time for the game itself.”
In Solo mode, Cities XL will offer -
- 25 maps featuring varying landscapes - from canyons to grassy hills and snowy mountains
- Around 500 buildings based on various architectural styles (European, American …)
- Diverse citizen structure: Four levels of wealth, four main different needs (Services, Environmental, Prices and Traffic) split into many sub-categories (Police and Fire departments, Education, Leisure, Commerce, multiple types of Pollution, Taxes, Cost of Life, Distance to work and more)
- A rich enterprise selection ranging from agriculture to heavy industry, services, tourism…
- A complex, but easy to access, simulation based on 12 resources to trade with an opportunistic AI (electricity, waste management, agriculture, water, fuel, etc.)
- An ambitious traffic system including many type of roads (five different widths, costs, quality and capacity), highways, airports, ports, and much more
- A set of never-before-seen real-time construction tools allowing players to create curved roads, building zones of various shapes, elaborate bridges...
- An avatar studio and Web-based profile pages
The massively persistent Planet Offer.
Multiplayer gameplay both in-game and on the web:
- Trade resources with other players to develop economic strategies, specialise your cities, maximise your possibilities in a global economy
- Work cooperatively to build Mega Structures – special buildings that enhance your city aesthetically and economically
- Web-based city management -- check your trade contracts, receive alerts, adjust your decisions from any computer in the world
Persistent MMO world:
- Each player receives five slots to build five persistent cities on different Planets
- Contribute to the life and statistics of the Planets (economics, population, pollution…): what you do has an impact on the world
Community features and animations in-game and on the web:
- Visit one another’s cities, see other players’ creations and content, chat with other players
- Create and participate in online events, discover virtual cities and real people
Regular upgrades :
- All Buildings, Maps, simulation and functionality upgrades are free with the planet offer
- 1 Month = 7€
- 3 Months = 5€/month
- 6 Months = 4.5€/month
Cities XL is currently scheduled to ship in Europe on Sept. 3, 2009.
More articles about Cities XL