Left 4 Dead (L4D) is a new action title from Valve, creators of the Counter-Strike and Half-Life games, and promises to redefine the co-operative genre as those titles did for multiplayer and single player action games.
Set in a modern day survival-horror universe, the co-operative gameplay of L4D casts four "Survivors" in an epic struggle against hordes of swarming zombies and terrifying "Boss Infected" mutants.
Valve’s next generation AI technology, allows for games of 1 to 8 players. Players can play as a Survivor or as one of four types of "Boss Infected," each of whom possess a unique mutant ability such as a 50-foot tongue lasso or a giant belly full of explosive methane gas.
The gameplay takes place across four massive campaigns. The "zombie" population of each mission is choreographed by an "AI Director" that monitors the human players’ actions and creates a unique and dramatic experience for them on the fly.
Set in the immediate aftermath of the highly-anticipated zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead features single player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay modes. Next-generation artificial intelligence tailors the pacing and difficulty ensuring a different experience every time the game is played.
- Removed an infinite ammo exploit for molotovs
Add-on Campaign Support
- Players download third party campaigns as single .VPK file
- Players can manage and select add-on maps and campaigns via game UI
- Added matchmaking support and download/update prompt for add-on campaigns
- Custom campaign support in Leader boards
- If not already registered, left4dead.exe registers .VPK extension to allow automatic install of add-ons
- Servers and the steam API have been extended to allow servers to send up a list of keys for matchmaking up to 1200 bytes in size
Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools
- Fixed missing fgd error
- Added vpk.exe command line tool for extracting, creating, and appending .VPK files
- Removed info_versus (not used)
- Added info_gamemode which fires outputs for Coop, Versus or Survival depending on what game mode the map is loaded in
- Updated tutorial_standards example map, repackaged as 'Dead Line' campaign example add-on
- Sample content now includes source files for official maps
- OS: Windows Vista, XP or 2000
- CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
- RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
- Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive
- Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
- Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)
- Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card
Left 4 Dead is currently available worldwide on PC and Xbox 360.
More articles about Left 4 Dead