PAX is a three-day celebration of games and gamer culture. The festival includes an exhibition floor filled with playable builds of upcoming tabletop, console, and computer games; a conference program of game industry speakers; music concerts; freeplay areas; industry parties; game tournaments and more.
After sifting through over 150 submissions from a gaggle of gameplay types and a plethora of platforms, a panel of game industry experts have selected the ten best submissions to be recognized as The PAX 10.
The PAX 10 for 2009 are (in alphabetical order):
- CarneyVale: Showtime by the Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Games Lab (Xbox 360)
- Closure by Tyler Glaiel and Jon Schubbe (PC)
- Fieldrunners by Subatomic Studios (iPhone/iPod touch)
- Liight by Studio Walljump (Wii)
- Machinarium by Amanita Design (PC)
- Osmos by Hemisphere Games (PC)
- Puzzle Bloom by Team Shotgun (PC)
- Tag: The Power of Paint by Tag Team (PC)
- Trino by Trinoteam (Xbox 360)
- What is Bothering Carl? by Story Fort (PC)
"The judges were absolutely blown away by the polished and robust experiences offered by the 2009 submissions," said Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade. "We're impressed yet again by the amazing games that indie developers are creating and know that, when you stop by The PAX 10 booth at the show, you will be, too."