Killing Floor is co-op survival horror game. Up to 6 players in online co-op mode, or just you, on your own, playing the Solo mode. The aim – cleanse each area of zombies, in waves, until you get to the last one. The Big One. The Patriarch. Then exterminate him, too. Actually, they aren’t “zombies”. They are the left-over “specimens” from a cheap and dirty government program to clone soldier-monsters. The basic ones will just munch on your arm and try to disembowel you. The bigger ones were the first ones they tried arming. Nothing much. Just a chainsaw or a blade for starters. They had just got on to the chain gun and rockets when the government tried to secretly shut down their secret program.
The upcoming “Heavy Metal” free content pack, thes first of many free updates planned for Killing Floor, adds an all-new map, new weapons and new functionality and will be available to anyone that owns the game.
The new level, entitled “Foundry”, is set in an old iron works which the Horzine Corporation has converted to support their top secret military projects. Exactly what they have been up to here is a matter for conjecture – but before we can send in investigators, your squad has to get in there and clean out the infestation of specimens.
To assist in your task, there are now two new weapons. The first is an old favorite of armed forces the world over: the AK-47. In our case, it has the folding stock, for ease-of-use in close quarters. This one will fit in as a heavier weapon for the Commando Perk and provide extra stopping power over the base Bullpup. The second is a weapon that just about every special-forces soldier in every movie seems to know intimately, for no good reason other than personal interest: the Japanese Katana sword. Just where the squad got hold of it is a mystery, but this piece of Samurai history is just so fitting, such a thing of beauty and such a perfect melee weapon, that we aren’t going to ask too many questions.
In addition to this free update, Tripwire Interactive will be releasing our first paid DLC character pack for Killing Floor very soon. This character pack adds four new playable characters including a Horzine foundry worker and a soldier in prototype Horzine body armor.
- Co-op game mode for up to six players obliterating multiple waves of specimens
- Persistent Perks system, allowing players to convert their in-game achievements into permanent improvements to their character’s skills and abilities
- Over 40 Steam Achievements, including “Dignity for the dead” for killing 10 enemies feeding on dead teammates’ corpses and “Hot Cross Fun” for finishing off 25 burning enemies with a Crossbow.
- Watch those crucial and violent creature deaths in slomo “ZEDtime”, even in multiplayer
- Solo game mode for offline play
- 9 different monster types trying to eat your face off, armed with everything from teeth and claws, through to chainsaws, chainguns and rocket-launchers
- 12+ weapons for the players to chose from, ranging from knives and fire-axes up to pump shotguns, rifles and a flamethrower. Add in a welder, medical tools and body armor to help the players survive
- Players choose which Perks to play with, so they can best balance out a co-op team to survive the horrors
- Open, non-linear play areas: choose when and where to fight – or run; weld doors closed to try and direct the monster horde
- Fully-configurable, allowing players to change things as simple as the difficulty level or number of creature waves, or go so far as to set up their own favorite waves of monsters
- Support for Steam Friends and other Steamworks features
- Includes SDK for the creation of new levels and mods
Already available in North America (Steam), Iceberg Interactive will launch Killing Floor in Europe this summer.
More articles about Killing Floor