First published in 1981, the Champions role-playing game is one of the first RPGs to forgo the traditional dice-rolling system of character generation in favor of a point-based system. Cryptic Studios has licensed back to Hero Games the rights to produce Champions RPG books, and the sixth edition of the HERO System and Champions, set to release in 2009, will include rules on how to recreate Champions Online characters and scenarios.
Champions Online is all about total customization -- it will offer a near infinite amount of character customization so that all players will have a unique game experience. Gamers will be able to create their hero's name, back story, costume, powers and abilities as well as design their own personal arch-enemy and his or her back story, which will guarantee a truly unique experience.
Lemuria is a kingdom torn asunder by civil war. A conflict, brewing for thousands of years, has finally come to the surface with the return of the ancient Lemurian gods and their demands for loyalty. Players must navigate the politically fraught waters of Lemuria and avoid its myriad monsters while attempting to prevent the use of an ancient doomsday weapon.
In addition to specific exclusive promotions for each retailer, all preorders (from any retailer) will receive guaranteed access to the Champions Online open beta, beginning August 17th. All purchases also include 30-days of free play and five Cryptic Points to be spent in-game.
- GameStop is offering access to the Early Start Program, giving customers who preorder a few days headstart in the game before its official launch on September 1st! In addition, all preorders include the exclusive Insectoid Airfoil costume piece and the Experimental Anti-Graviton Generator flight travel power at character creation.
- Wal-Mart offers a Limited Edition Package with collectible lenticular cover, which also includes a zone map, iron-on decal, and ten additional Cryptic Points.
- Best Buy offers access to the Early Start Program, along with an exclusive action figure in-game and a damage resistance item.
- Amazon preorders receive five additional Cryptic Points, and three exclusive costume pieces: Harlequin Headpiece, Black Knight Helmet, and Grenade Chest Strap.
- Hi-Octane Excitement: Champions Online delivers furious, fast-paced encounters previously reserved for action and fighting games. No more boring auto attacks and lengthy recharge times. Champions Online combat is instantaneous — and electrifying!
- Brains required: Every enemy and super-powered threat in Champions Online has its own unique abilities and combat specialties. Use your head — or wind up dead!
- Bring friends, make friends: The Champions Online universe will be jam-packed with thousands of heroes, facing thousands of threats. Join up with other heroes, create your own superteam, and prepare to take on the ultimate threats!
- Total customization, at your fingertips: Choose from hundreds of different costume pieces, colors and body types to create your character's one-of-a-kind costume and look. There are billions of possible combinations, and in a universe brimming with the fantastic and the unforgettable, you can still be completely unique!
- Your powers, on your terms: There are a multitude of astonishing powers to choose from in Champions Online, and its flexible character creation system gives you total control over your hero's abilities. You can even pick the appearance of your powers. Do you want purple force fields? Green fire blasts? Jet black claws? In Champions Online, you decide!
- Keep your enemies close: Every hero must have an archenemy. In Champions Online, you design your character's supreme adversary, choosing a name, powers and costume for a superpowered foe to bedevil your hero throughout his or her career.
- Bigger and better: Vanquish evil, and your successes will be rewarded with costume pieces to enhance your powers and abilities. Then customize the appearance of those rewards to your vision of your hero's look and abilities!
- Endless exploration: The battle against evil in Champions Online rages across the world into outer space and alternate dimensions. No other MMOG offers players the chance to explore such diverse realms — from the shining skyscrapers of Millennium City and the frozen wastes of Canada to the interstellar gladiatorial arena on the moon, the hidden underwater city of Lemuria and the foul mystical dimension known as Qliphotic.
- Evil most foul: Battle supervillains, aliens, giant monsters and secret, sinister organizations. Doctor Destroyer is launching new plans to conquer the world. VIPER lurks in the shadows, seeking chances to strike at humanity. The ancient Lemurians are plotting a return to power. And Mechanon won't stop until it has wiped all organic life from the planet. Can you stop these heinous threats to humanity?
- Make your mark: The story of Champions Online is constantly changing, continually evolving. Villains are defeated. Heroes rise and fall. Cities transform. Your actions may decide the future!
Minimum System Requirements
- OS:Windows XP/VistaCPU:2.5GHz Single Core or 1.8GHz Dual CoreMemory:1GB RAMVideo:NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon X700 or HD / Intel Graphics with Dual Core Sound:DirectX Compatible SoundcardHDD:5GB Free Disk SpaceNetwork:ADSL / Cable ModemDisc:DVD-ROM
- Driver:DirectX 9.0c
Recommended System Configuration
- OS:Windows XP/VistaCPU:2GHz Dual Core or BetterMemory:2GB RAM or BetterVideo:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or Better / ATI Radeon HD3850 or BetterSound:DirectX Compatible SoundcardHDD:5GB Free Disk SpaceNetwork:ADSL / Cable Modem or BetterDisc:DVD-ROM
- Driver:DirectX 9.0c
To check if your computer meets the minimum system specifications:
- Click Start, then Run.In the Open box, enter dxdiag.
- Vista users will have to click through any approval dialogs which appear due to User Account Control settings
- Review your system specifications by clicking on the related tabs:
- System: Operating system, processor, and RAM. Note that Intel Dual-Core processors are named "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU"Display: Graphics card manufacturer and chip type
- Input: Keyboard and mouse
Champions Online is slated for release on Sept. 1, 2009.
More articles about Champions Online