With Piranha Games working on MechWarrior 5, Smith & Tinker announced that, in celebration of BattleTech's 25th anniversary, its predecessor will be released for free by MekTek Studios along with its expansion packs.
“MechWarrior” marks an epic struggle to reclaim your birthright as you command an awesomely armed 40-foot tall, 80-ton, 90-mile per hour war machine across the remote battlefields of a hostile world. Jam-packed with intense action, “MechWarrior” places places player’s at the helm of a legion of BattleMechs in a heroic struggle to liberate an oppressed planet.
- Epic storyline with the player as the hero. “MechWarrior” will immerse players in the BattleTech Universe with an engaging new story of a clan’s heroic struggle for freedom. Players are the last of their family line, fighting a desperate battle to avenge their father and retake their planet from those who seek to destroy it.
- Unprecedented visual fidelity. Instead of desolate, sparsely populated battlefields, “MechWarrior” takes place in a rich and dynamic universe inhabited by armed allies, noncombatants and deadly antagonists. High-energy lasers pierce the night; rockets flare with blazing fire; and buildings and vehicles crumble into smoldering rubble. Day missions, night missions, fog, rain, snow, blizzards and lightning provide atmosphere and add to the intensity and realism.
- All-new Mechs. Players can command 21 different Mechs, seven of which have never been seen on the battlefield. Mechs can be customized with brand-new weapons, armor and sensors including the devastating Long-Tom artillery piece. Each Mech and MechWarrior exhibits unique strengths and weaknesses, so gamers must carefully evaluate each mission and plan accordingly.
- A cinematic experience. “MechWarrior” features a complex story of betrayal, revenge and honor that unfolds in sparkling theatrical detail. Players will interact with a multitude of different characters and personalities, watch news reports as they happen, and listen in on radio messages from rebel stations. In “MechWarrior,” players’ actions shape the thickening drama.
- Players are in charge. Player’s are in control of all aspects of the game. They choose which battle to fight, what Mechs to take and which MechWarriors to bring. They decide how and where to deploy their forces as well as how to best develop the experience of their team. In “MechWarrior,” being a good shot is not enough; you must also step up to the challenge of leadership.
- Dynamic mission structure. Command and fight in more than 30 unique missions across 15 unique campaign maps. Missions include a palace assault, taking out a drop-ship, and a one-on-one showdown with a battleship.
- Sense of scale. Players get a true feel for just how mammoth their Mech is as they stroll down a street, smashing cars, downing power lines, uprooting trees, and demolishing fences and mailboxes. They can feel the rush as pedestrians flee their gigantic footprints.
- MechWarrior power without the complexity. “MechWarrior” provides more tactical options than ever before and is much easier to play, with a simple user interface and robust help features.
- Diverse multiplayer modes. “MechWarrior” includes a variety of new and compelling multiplayer features, including those designed specifically to support networked multiplay in the BattleTech Universe. For the first time, players will be able to create their own missions, host their own MechWarrior servers, and participate in missions cooperatively. “MechWarrior” will also include full support for Internet play, with matchmaking available on the MSNÔ Gaming Zone (http://www.zone.com/).
- From the creators of the BattleTech Universe and original “MechWarrior” game, Jordan Weisman and FASA Interactive. Over the past 16 years, the BattleTech Universe has grown from its roots as a board game into a successful entertainment franchise that has produced more than 20 million word in print in 17 languages around the world, hundreds of game products, miniature and toys.
More articles about MechWarrior 4: Vengeance