Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is the sequel to the game that put class-based, multiplayer team warfare on the map. This year’s most anticipated online action game, TF2 delivers new gametypes, a signature art style powered by Valve’s next generation animation technology, persistent player statistics, and more.
Unlike other “class-based” games that offer a variety of combat classes only, Team Fortress 2 packs a wild variety of classes which provide a broad range of tactical abilities and personalities, and lend themselves to a variety of player skills. Play as the flame-throwing Pyro, the room clearing Heavy, or the Spy, a master of disguises. Other classes include: Scout, Sniper, Medic, Engineer, Demoman, or Soldier.
Classless Update #3
New Map : CTF_Sawmill
Arena Sawmill has been re-worked to function as the third official Valve ‘Capture the Flag’ map. Two side access routes have been blocked off to concentrate gameplay, and a building near each spawn point is now accessible. These lead to a flooded underground stronghold that holds the enemy’s top secret intelligence—a flag made entirely out of microfilm. Or possibly nylon. Either way, yoink!
New Map : CP_Yukon
This abandoned mountaintop coalmine was repurposed by shadowy operatives into a top secret surveillance outpost—one which also, so nobody gets wise, insidiously continues to mine coal. There is also a log hanging in the center of the map—possibly as an example to other logs. Logs that said too much.
Five control points promise a lot of momentum swings in this compact outdoor map, with plenty of tunnels and rocky outcroppings. Plenty of alternate routes ensure that if you can’t get past a well-placed engineer through one tunnel, you might be able to sneak up behind them through another.
CP_Yukon is a community map from the brilliant dual-powered brain trust of Patrick “MangyCarface” Mulholland and Joachim “Acegikmo” Holmér.
Classless Update #2
New Game Mode: King of The Hill
King of the Hill (KotH) is an intense new game mode focused around a single central capture point that must be defended for three minutes. Gameplay begins with the point initially locked—after a short time, it will open for capture by either team. Once the point is captured by a team, their team clock will start a three minute countdown. If the enemy team manages to capture the point back, their clock will start counting down while the other team’s clock freezes at the time the point was recaptured.
King of The Hill: Viaduct Map
Viaduct is an all-new map especially built for KotH, set outside of the entrance to a secret underground base. Viaduct is also the first Team Fortress map to take place during a snowfall. Both teams start at the base of a low hill, and will have to climb to get to the capture point at the hill’s peak. The various elevations of the map and multiple routes to the central point guarantee some frenzied battles as the point changes hands during gameplay
In addition two old maps will be fitted for the new King of The Hill, KoTH_Nucleus and KoTH_SawMill.
Classless Update #1
Throughout history, men have worn hats as a way of showing how much better they are than other men. “I buy hats,” a behatted man seems to say. “I am better than you.”
In wartime, hats were a useful way of conferring rank, and ensuring that casualties were confined to the lower classes (hence the famous command of “Don't fire till you see the tops of their heads” at the Battle of Bunker Hill by William Prescott, a general renowned for only shooting enemy combatants who were poor). During peacetime, hats have been instrumental for men to let the non-hatted know just who is wearing the hat around here.
And that’s the entire history of hats. The history you were spoon fed at school, that is, in your government-run hat class. But here’s a little truth bomb your teachers, pastors and ombudsmen of your regional newspapers DON’T WANT YOU TO KNOW: Team Fortress now has MORE hats. We hope this didn’t blow your mind out of the top of your head, since you’ll need a place to put all these cool new hats.
New Map: Arena Offblast:
Arena Offblast is a fast-paced, high-altitude community map set in a top secret missile silo wedged into the top of a hollowed-out mountain. Open-air paths and narrow hallways converge on a central control point located just under the silo’s blast doors.
This mountaintop arena also boasts a sheer cliff face encircling the battleground, giving you the chance to help your opponents improve their tactics. Specifically, anyone you blast over the side will get some time to think about the various flaws in their “standing next to the edge of a cliff” strategy as they plummet to an excruciating, non-respawnable death.
Full Changelog:New Content:
- Added King Of The Hill game mode.
- Added custom animations played by the losing team during the post-win state. They are moved into third person camera to enjoy them.
- Added lots of new hats.
- Added koth_Viaduct.
- Added ctf_Sawmill
- Added community map Arena_Offblast
- Added community map Cp_Yukon
- Added "Auto Reload" option to the multiplayer advanced options.
- Clip-based weapons that reload a full clip at a time can now have their reloads aborted by firing.
- Pistol now fires at a fixed rate, not based on the speed at which you press the firing button.
- Added a color blind option to add a Jarate icon above enemies who are busy accepting a terrifying existence where they have no dignity.
- Significantly reduced the amount of network traffic being sent.
- Capturing the flag in a CTF game mode gives the entire capturing team 10 seconds of critboost.
- Sappers attached to a teleporter automatically place another Sapper on the other end of the teleporter, if it exists.
- Engineers wrenching a teleporter will repair the other end as well, and remove Sappers from both if they exist.
- Disguised Spies no longer trigger On-Hit effects (like the Blutsauger's heal).
- Removed self-inflicted minicrits. Fixes Jarate'd Soldiers/Demomen having ineffective rocket/grenade jumps.
- Added an item panel to the spectator cam that shows non-standard items being carried by the player you're spectating.
- Added an "Inspect" key that allows you to look at items being carried by your team mates.
- Backpack improvements:
- - Added drag & drop to move items around. Item positions are maintained on the backend.
- Added multi-select, allowing you to delete multiple items at once.
- Added a new key to the key binding page that opens your inventory directly to your backpack.
- Fixed mouseover panel being incorrectly position when the backpack first appears.
- Cloaked Spies standing in valid backstab positions no longer raise their knife.
- Added current map name and gametype to the bottom right of scoreboard.
- Added class icons to tips on the loadout and loading screens.
- Improved visuals around flags when they're being carried by a player.
- Improved critboosted visuals, making it much clearer when an enemy has critboost.
- Updated the loading panel to show the game type under the map name during level transition.
- In-game chat dialog now supports full Unicode characters.
- Added BLU main menu background.
- Added response caching for some server queries to help reduce the CPU load from DOS attacks.
- Teammates no longer block friendly radius damage. Prevents nearby teammates causing rocket/grenade jumps to fail.
- Update PLR_Pipeline
- - Increased the starting advantage in the third round if a team has won the first two rounds.
- Fixed carts not continuing to the second round if they're capped at the same time in the first round.
- Fixed being able to shoot pipebombs over the starting gates in the first round.
- Fixed being able to open the doors in the first round before the setup time was finished.
- Fixed players getting stuck in some doors.
- Fixed players being able to get onto rooftops and out of the map boundaries.
- Fixed other minor bugs and exploits.
- Update Arena_Sawmill
- - Fixed DirectX8 bug where some models would not be visible.
- Fixed exploit with building teleporters outside of the map.
- Updated CP_Granary
- - Made a few changes to improve balance based on competitive community feedback.
- The Force of Nature
- - The enemy knockback now only `works in close range and behaves more like the Pyro's air blast.
- Enemies cannot be juggled by the FaN's effect.
- The self-knockback has also changed to respect the firer's view angle. Looking up while shooting will no longer propel the enemy upwards.
- Knockback is now scaled by damage done.
- The Sandman
- - A Scout will receive 1 point for stunning an enemy and 2 points for a long range stun.
- Stunned players now take 75% of all incoming damage instead of 50%.
- Übercharged players can no longer be stunned.
- Heavies spinning their mini-guns will continue to spin when stunned (whether the left or right mouse button is pressed).
- The minimum distance to stun a target has been reduced.
- The negative attribute has changed from "no double jump" to "-30 max health".
- Fixed various issues around layout & presentation of items inside the Backpack and "X is carrying" item dialogs.
- Fixed an exploit that allowed players to work around sv_pure.
- Particle files are now protected by sv_pure.
- Fixed critboost effect getting stuck on when you die while critboosted.
- Fixed Timer HUD element backgrounds not being the correct color if you change teams during waiting for players.
- Fixed a couple of issues with the way critboosts affected The Huntsman and the Spy's knife.
- Fixed an exploit where you could reload The Huntsman faster than intended.
- Fixed Heavy "civilian" exploit.
- Fixed a set of exploits using the DXSupport config files.
- Fixed r_screenfademinsize and r_screenfademaxsize exploits.
- Fixed sentries firing at a fully cloaked Spy if they're still the closest target.
- Added a HUD element for hybrid CTF & CP maps.
- - Supports 1 or 2 flags, and any number of CPs.
- Mapmakers need to place a "tf_logic_hybrid_ctf_cp" entity in their map to enable it.
- Added custom kill server log text "train" and "saw" for deaths caused by these environmental hazards.
- Format: "%s
More articles about Team Fortress 2