Halo 3: ODST is a new game in the "Halo" saga that lets people experience events leading up to the epic story told in "Halo 3" through the eyes of an ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), as they search for clues leading to the whereabouts of their scattered squad and the motivations behind the Covenant's invasion of New Mombasa. The release adds a new dimension to an all-encompassing universe that gamers around the world have known and loved for close to eight years.
In addition to a brand new campaign, “Halo 3: ODST” introduces a new cooperative multiplayer mode called Firefight which allows “Halo” fans to experience co-operative gaming in a whole new way: they will be fighting as members of an ODST squad against waves of increasingly challenging enemies across a variety of battlefields. This experience is made even more intense with the integration of “Halo 3’s” “skulls,” which progressively activate as time goes on to alter the gameplay and up the challenge. Players will battle through wave after wave in search of high scores, Achievements and bragging rights.
“Halo 3: ODST” also includes a second standalone disc with three new “Halo 3” multiplayer maps, all original “Halo 3” maps, as well as the “Legendary,” “Heroic,” and “Mythic” Map packs for a total of 24 maps.
Halo 3: ODST will deliver a completely new campaign, a new cooperative multiplayer experience called Firefight, the complete “Halo 3” multiplayer experience on a standalone disc, and new competitive multiplayer maps for “Halo 3” you won’t find anywhere else. Microsoft and Bungie today revealed the remaining three multiplayer maps which are sure to get fans around the world excited.
On September 21, the Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame in Seattle will be the place to be to celebrate all things “Halo.” Bungie and Microsoft invite “Halo” fans to take part in a celebration of the “Halo” franchise and usher in the release of “Halo 3: ODST,” the latest installment in the iconic video game franchise that has sold more than 27 million copies worldwide.
At the launch event, fans will have the opportunity to meet the creators who are driving the latest developments in the “Halo” universe, including “Halo 3: ODST” Creative Director Joseph Staten from Bungie and “Halo” Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor from 343 Industries. Fans will also receive hands-on time with Firefight and prepare for glory in an action-packed tournament for a chance to win coveted “Halo”-themed prizes. A select number of attendees will also be chosen for a special hands-on session with the “Halo 3: ODST” campaign.
Additionally, the event will feature special programming throughout the evening with panel discussions featuring Bungie and 343 Industries personnel. Through the panels, fans will learn more about the creation of “Halo 3: ODST” and get a sneak peek at the exciting new additions to the “Halo” experience such as “Halo Legends,” “Halo Waypoint” and more.
The launch event is free and open to the public.* The first 200 fans in line will receive a limited edition “ODST” T-shirt, so attendees are encouraged to arrive early. A panel of judges from Bungie and 343 Industries will be on hand to award prizes to the fans with the best “Halo”-themed costumes, so suit up and bring your best UNSC Marine/ODST/Master Chief/Cortana costume for all to see. During the event, all attendees are invited to tour the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame free of charge.
More details about the launch event are below:
- Who: All “Halo” fans (ages 17 or older, or accompanied by a parent or guardian)
- What: “Halo” Franchise Celebration and “Halo 3: ODST” Launch Event
- When: Monday, Sept. 21, 2009 from 6 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- Where: Experience Music Project | Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame - 325 5th Ave. - Seattle, WA 98109
- Highlights: “Halo 3: ODST” Firefight tournament, “Halo” creators panels and signings, costume contest, free access to the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame gallery and more
- All-new campaign content. The "Halo 3: ODST" campaign explores mysterious events leading up to the Master Chief's return to New Mombasa in "Halo 3." Experience the fate of Earth from the brand-new perspective of a special forces ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), adding a unique outlook and new gameplay elements to the events that unfold in the trilogy's finale. This new chapter captures the same great feel of previous "Halo" experiences while offering fans new tactics, tools and weapons to defeat the Covenant.
- A new hero: Prepare to drop. ODSTs or "Orbital Drop Shock Troopers" are highly-trained special forces operators. Known for their courage, valor and willingness to tackle missions no sane soldier would, ODSTs pride themselves on being the first unit deployed into hostile situations, often in one-man drop-pods that burn through planetary atmospheres at break-neck speed.
- Expanded multiplayer experience. No "Halo" game would be complete without groundbreaking multiplayer content. "Halo 3: ODST" introduces an entirely new way to play "Halo" with Firefight, a cooperative multiplayer mode included on the campaign disc that lets up to four people jump immediately into combat. As an ODST squad, you will face increasingly challenging waves of enemies together, striving to earn the highest scores possible, while various "Halo 3" "Skulls" are progressively activated. The experience is intense and ever-evolving. "Halo 3: ODST" also includes a separate, standalone multiplayer disc which includes three new "Halo 3" multiplayer maps, all original "Halo 3" maps, as well as the "Legendary," "Heroic," and "Mythic" Map packs for a total of 24 maps.
- Ever-growing community options. Players will continue to enjoy all the great "Halo 3" technological innovations, including Saved Films, screenshots, Campaign Scoring and four-player co-op over Xbox LIVE. All of the new "Halo 3" multiplayer maps fully support the Forge editor, offering near endless gameplay customization possibilities for fans.
- Key to "Halo: Reach." As a special bonus for fans, all copies of "Halo 3: ODST" will provide access to the "Halo: Reach" multiplayer beta when the beta goes live. More information about the "Halo: Reach" multiplayer beta will be shared at a later date.
Microsoft's Halo 3: ODST will be available in Standard Edition ($59.99) or a Collector's Pack ( $99).
More articles about Halo 3: ODST