Set in the year 2409, Star Trek Online will allow players to immerse themselves in the future of the Star Trek universe, exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations in an ever expanding vast universe. Command a starship as a Federation or a Klingon Captain, outfit it with custom systems and recruit, train and mold a crew into an elite force for exploration and combat. Missions take players into thrilling space battle, planetside for face-to-face combat and even inside starships!
Powered by the Cryptic Engine, Star Trek Online will be developed for both console and PC formats. With customizable ships and characters from the Klingon Empire and United Federation of Planets, ground, space and shipboard gameplay and unique options for player-generated content set in the Star Trek universe, Star Trek Online is the MMOG that allows you to boldly go where no one has gone before!
Captains are able to play as one of many races, including but not limited to Humans, Bolians, Andolians and Bajorans. As a member of Starfleet, Federation players have access to a host of ships and configurations, all of which can be customized to fit any Captain’s play style.
Federation game play is broken up into “seasons,” which are themed and feature Episode missions that develop Star Trek Online’s story. The three seasons available at launch will feature Klingon, Romulan and Borg storylines that eventually weave together in a compelling plot.
However, there’s more to do than participate in your own Episodes. Members of the Federation will be able to explore procedurally-generated Star Clusters to truly go where no one has gone before. And for the battle-hardened Captain, PvP combat with Klingon players isn’t out of the question, either.
The Klingon Empire
The Klingon Empire is comprised of the Klingon Defense Force, the Gorn Hegemony, and the Nausicaan and Orion civilizations. Similar to the Federation, members of the Klingon Empire will advance through a number of different ships as they progress in their journey to conquer the universe.
Life as a Klingon is very combat-oriented, as fans of Star Trek will definitely appreciate. While Klingons are able to pursue Tactical, Scientific and Engineering careers, they’re still expected to fight their enemies and bring glory to their Houses. Much of their time in Star Trek Online will be on the front lines of the ongoing war between the Empire and the Federation, engaged in intense PvP battles with their most hated adversaries … and members of rival Houses.
The Intrepid class proved its worth as a long-range vessel during U.S.S. Voyager's time in the Delta Quadrant. Voyager successfully completed a 70,000 light year journey with no access to Starfleet supplies or facilities. Its success made the Intrepid class the gold standard for deep space explorer ships.
Inspired by Voyager, the design teams at Utopia Planitia set out to update the Intrepid class with the latest in Starfleet technology and design theory. The Discovery class, along with her sister ships Intrepid and Cochrane, is more than capable of long exploration missions without Starfleet support or assistance, but is equally equipped as a fleet support or solo patrol vessel.
- Lacks the firepower of an escort, but has a technological advantage over all but the best-equipped foes.
- State-of-the-art sensor arrays can identify weaknesses in enemy ships, locate and track vessels, or even detect some cloaked ships.
- Targeting system is also ideal for subsystem targeting, allowing a Discovery to take out an opponent's shields or engines quickly.
- Improved tractor beam can hold an enemy in place for a coordinated assault, and its advanced deflector array can be reconfigured to assist ally ships by transferring energy or boosting shield strength.
Unlike other Starfleet ships designed for exploration with defense as a secondary concern, the Cerberus is primarily a warship. While it resembles the experimental (and slightly larger) U.S.S. Prometheus, the Starfleet Corps of Engineers chose not to include the multi-vector assault mode on the Cerberus. That doesn’t mean it’s not an impressive warship, however; it is intended to battle larger ships like the Klingon Vo'Quv.
Perhaps most notably, the entire ship is outfitted with holoemitters to allow for the use of photonic crew members. On extremely dangerous missions, Starfleet can send an entirely holographic crew to operate the ship.
- The ship features regenerative shields and ablative armor. Some Cerberus vessels have an experimental form of quantum slipstream drive, but the technology is not considered stable enough to be standard equipment.
- The full capacities of the Cerberus are classified.
- An advanced warp core keeps weapons at top power, even during combat maneuvers.
Key Features :
- The Star Trek universe will appear for the first time in a massively multiplayer online game. Everything from the elegant domes of Starfleet Academy to the ancient temples of Vulcan, from the towers of Qo’noS to the Fire Caves of Bajor, from the mysterious Mutara Nebula to the unexplored voids of deep space, all will be represented in stunning 3-D graphics. Immerse yourself in the future of the Trek universe as it moves into the 25th century: a time of shifting alliances and new discoveries.
- Explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations in an expanding vast universe. Make contact with alien races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will change the future of the Star Trek universe.
- Command your own starship as a Federation Captain or a Klingon Warrior. Outfit it with the systems that you need to make your mark in the galaxy. Customize your ship as you see fit. Recruit, train and mold your crew into an elite force for exploration and combat.
- Command your vessel in thrilling space battles, or beam down to planets with your away team for face-to-face confrontations. Missions will take you and your friends into space, planetside and even inside starships!
Starting Jan. 12, 2010 thru Jan. 26, 2010 fans will be able to explore the Star Trek Universe and play the first-of-a-kind massively multiplayer online role-playing game.
Open beta keys will be given out on a first come first serve basis, sign up now!
More articles about Star Trek Online