Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising features a new playable army, the traitorous Chaos Space Marines, and continues the epic journey of the Blood Ravens as they battle this new, more personal enemy. Developed by award-winning internal studio Relic Entertainment, Chaos Rising
offers new single-player and co-op campaigns, a level cap increase from 20 to 30, more powerful war-gear and a suite of innovative multiplayer options.
Set in the grim, war-ravaged world of Games Workshop’s vast Warhammer 40,000 science fiction universe, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising transports players into the midst of an intergalactic war between ancient enemies. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising introduces the Chaos Space Marines as a new playable army, continues the single player campaign from the original Dawn of War II, delivers all new wargear and raises the level cap from 20 to 30.
Tyranids – Tyrant Guard
Tyranids actually benefit from two new units in the Chaos Rising expansion, but the Tyrant Guard will replace an existing unit. In the summer of 2009 we released a major update to the multiplayer game called ‘There is Only War’ in which we introduced a new Tier 2 version of the Carnifex – the ‘Screamer Killer’. Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising owners will have this unit replaced by a completely new unit, the Tyrant Guard. These are creatures that seem to serve as a living shield, a protector, for vital locations or important Tyranid units.
- Unit: Tyrant Guard, a large durable melee unit that moves faster in synapse. Can use the Shieldwall ability which regenerates health and reduces incoming damage.
- Availability: Tier 2
- Rampage – Charge at a targeted location, knocking over everything in the Tyrant Guard’s path.
- Shieldwall – Increase the Tyrant Guard’s health regeneration but temporarily disable the unit.
The Tyrant Guard is a slow lumbering unit unless it is within range of a synapse creature, where its movements are significantly faster. Its greatest strength is its ability to absorb a high amount of damage and recover from wounds by using its Shieldwall ability. An opponent that underestimates your Tyrant Guard may find themselves caught off guard as it Rampages into the front lines of his forces. It is certainly a worthy successor to the Screamer Killer it is replacing.
Tyranids - Genestealer Brood
A completely new addition to the Tyranids in Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising is the Genestealer Brood, elite melee infantry units that are known for their agility in close combat. These are the infiltrators for the Tyranid forces, used to locate areas of biomass and then signal the Hive Fleet which will then move in to harvest.
- Unit: Genestealer Brood, an elite Melee unit that infiltrates after staying still for a period of time.
- Availability: Tier 2
- Abilities: Adrenal Rush – Enter a frenzied state with improved movement and damage. Attacking enemies in this state also restores the Genestealers’ health.
- Upgrades: Rending Claws – Requires Tier 3, this upgrade increases the melee damage of the unit.
Genestealers are a potent melee force that can infiltrate, letting the enemy come to them or allowing Genestealers to attack from an unexpected direction. All it takes is a short period of inactivity for this unit to blend in with their surroundings. They will remain infiltrated as long as they do not move or attack. Hapless enemies that wander by are shredded, and in the process can also serve to restore Genestealer health if the Adrenal Rush ability is in use. Adrenal Rush will also reduce incoming ranged damage, and allow these units to stay alive if they need to close the distance to the enemy lines. Genestealers remain an elite melee threat into the late game with the Rending Claws upgrade that increases their overall damage and makes them more effective against vehicles. The Genestealer Brood is sure to have players checking over their shoulders when Chaos Rising is released.
Relic Entertainment will also deliver new multiplayer maps and new units for the Orks, Eldar, Tyranids and Space Marines. Veterans of the Dawn of War II single player campaign can use their existing squads’ accumulated wargear, abilities and experience to battle the traitorous Chaos Space Marines of the Black Legion throughout 20 new missions. Newcomers to Dawn of War II will begin the single player campaign with a squad of Space Marines fully equipped to take on the malevolent forces of Chaos. Powerful Chaos tainted wargear can be equipped and used against your enemy, but doing so could lead to dreadful consequences. Will you risk corruption for power?
In Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising you will take command of the Blood Ravens and defend the sector against the Chaos Space Marines of the Black Legion. Purge the chaos filth and hold the chapter together as traitorous forces work from within to try bring down the Blood Ravens.
- Upgrade your squads with new legendary wargear and unlock new special abilities, as your squads advance to level 30. Will you remain steadfast to the Emperor or risk heresy to gain new dark and destructive powers?
- In multiplayer swear loyalty to the Chaos Gods and pit your bloodthirsty warband of Chaos Space Marines against the new units and reinforced armies of the Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, and Tyranids.
More articles about Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising