The combination of the PS3 system's technical capabilities and NHL's live HD streaming technology showcases the added power and potential of PS3 as an in-home platform for all types of entertainment: games, movies and TV shows, music, original content, social networks and, of course, live sporting events.
NHL GameCenter LIVE subscribers who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and its variety of online content, can now stream live out-of-market regular season and select playoff game broadcasts in HD by downloading the NHL GameCenter application on the PS3 system. In addition to offering live hockey games, NHL GameCenter LIVE also allows subscribers to watch full-length and condensed replays of the current season games they missed (48 hours after they air, no blackouts) and relive NHL history with unlimited access to over 500 classic games from NHL Vault.
PS3 users that do not have a subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE will still have access to a wide range of NHL content through the NHL GameCenter application. Fans will have access to features such as post-game highlights, team schedules, standings, player stats and profiles, and full NHL scoreboard.
"PlayStation Network has become an innovative and all-in-one destination for PS3 users to enjoy a comprehensive, customizable on-demand entertainment experience. The addition of streaming NHL content continues the expansion of our library of movies and TV shows, original programming, music, live sports and access to social networks," said Peter Dille, senior vice president, marketing and PlayStation Network, SCEA. "Through our partnership with the NHL, we are giving our customers another important choice to access and stream the content they want, when and how they want it."
"In order to serve our fans, we are continuing to respond to the convergence of technology, media and consumer behavior," said Perry Cooper, NHL Senior Vice President of Digital Media. "With today's announcement, we are able to deliver NHL GameCenter LIVE and NHL Vault to Sony's extensive consumer base and significantly broaden the availability of our products to our fans across the world."
Customers that have an annual subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE ($169 U.S.) and a free PlayStation Network account can download the NHL application for a one-time $9.99 (U.S.) fee and access it under the "Video" icon on the XMB (XrossMediaBar) menu. Additionally, PlayStation Plus subscribers can download the NHL GameCenter application for free, continuing PlayStation's goal to deliver exclusive opportunities only made available to PlayStation Plus members.
Additional features of NHL GameCenter LIVE include:
- Select from home and away broadcasts available in HD to follow your favorite team(s), even while they are on the road
- Follow the action from around the league with game updates in the live scoreboard and plan what games to watch using the full season calendar
- Make the most of your viewing experience with live stats, standings, player bios, and post-game highlights for all 2010-11 games
- Pause, fast-forward, rewind or simply jump to key points of interest for 2010-11 games using event data indicators displayed on-screen
- Easily flip between live video and browsing other NHL GameCenter application features, while the video still plays in the background
Additional features of NHL Vault include:
- Classic Games: Relive historic hockey moments from classic games dating back to the 1960s
- Condensed Games: Catch up on games you missed with 10-12 minute extended highlights
- Game Archive: Watch full length replays of all games since the 2008-2009 season
More articles about PlayStation 3