Gran Turismo 5 brings the world’s most realistic and comprehensive driving experience to fans in one of the most highly anticipated games of all time. Consistently setting the bar in terms of quality of design and physics technology with every product release, Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 is no exception and aims to set new standards in terms of graphics, presentation, and gameplay.
Gran Turismo 5 features more than 1000 licensed cars from the world’s top manufacturers and more than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations, including famous world circuits, city courses, and other environments. Featuring exciting gameplay and modes to suit newcomers, automotive enthusiasts, and seasoned fans, Gran Turismo 5 raises the bar on the franchise’s depth of content and unparalleled visuals including lifelike graphics that are difficult to distinguish from a live race. Further reflecting this realism, cars will feature real-time visual damage with adaptive and accurate car deformation based on point of impact and velocity. Additionally for the first time, Gran Turismo 5 will feature an extremely deep online and community feature set.
Players can progress and acquire credits through a variety of modes like GT Career Mode, Championship Races, License Tests and more, or they can explore different tracks and circuit variations in Arcade Mode. Additionally, players can race online with up to 16 players through PlayStation Network (PSN). Players can also participate in a robust online system, and transfer vehicles unlocked in Gran Turismo for PSP into their garage in Gran Turismo 5.
Starting December 20th, fans can compete in Gran Turismo 5 exclusively on the PS3 for a chance to make dreams of becoming a race driver with a professional team a reality. Registration for the GT Academy competition begins on December 6th, and fans who think they have what it takes can find more information about the program.
GT Academy will challenge gamers and racing fans alike across the U.S. to compete in a series of online time trials in pre-selected Nissan vehicles in Gran Turismo 5. All participants will earn free digital content just for playing, as well as have an opportunity to win prizes for winning regional time trials. The top 32 virtual racers in the country will be invited to compete in the live national finals event in March 2011 to become one of 16 GT Academy finalists. The 16 finalists will compete against each other in a series of challenges, including behind the wheel of real Nissan race cars, for a chance to become a professional race car driver as the GT Academy winner for the U.S. The winner will have the opportunity to train with elite race car drivers at international tracks and race as part of a professional team.
"With the upcoming launch of Gran Turismo 5, it's a very exciting time to team with Nissan to announce GT Academy," said Scott A. Steinberg, VP of Product Marketing, SCEA. "With the realistic racing experience that only Gran Turismo 5 provides, GT Academy will identify someone who truly has the skills to become a pro race car driver, providing the chance of a lifetime to win the ultimate prize."
"This is a great opportunity for Nissan to bring GT Academy to the U.S. and support the launch of Gran Turismo 5" said Jon Brancheau, Vice President Marketing, Nissan. "Gran Turismo 5 provides an amazingly realistic racing experience and we're taking that to the next level by putting 16 finalists behind the wheel of a Nissan race car with the chance to become a race driver with a professional team. Nissan vehicles are known for innovation and performance, so this is a perfect way to demonstrate and deliver on that promise."
The competitors' road to victory will be documented in a multi-episode reality show airing exclusively on SPEED channel and the PlayStation®Network in 2011. The reality show series will start filming in March 2011 from the GT Academy finals through training as a pro race driver.
The overall competition will run as follows:
- Phase One: Racing enthusiasts will put their racing and gaming skills to the test as they compete in various regional online ladders playing Gran Turismo 5 on PlayStation®Network. Finalists will then participate in a live head-to-head competition.
- Phase Two: 16 lucky finalists emerge from the live event and go behind the wheel of real cars, including the Nissan 370Z and GT-R, at a comprehensive GT Academy 'boot camp'. The 'boot camp' will be featured as part of a multi-episode reality show to air on SPEED.
- Phase Three: The 2011 U.S. Winner will train to become a professional driver in preparation for competing as part of a professional team at a major race event.
For full terms and conditions and more information about GT Academy please visit the official Gran Turismo website
- CARS THAT LOOK AND FEEL REAL
- A first for the franchise, vehicles will now show real-time damage and wear that reflect the driver’s treatment of the car. Cars will collect dirt (and can be washed at car washes) and will feature adaptive and accurate body deformation and performance damage based on point of impact and velocity (on select vehicles).
- Additional graphic touchups that add to the realism include smoke from tires, sparks that fly from vehicle rollovers, and dirt accumulation.
- Brand new vehicle physics engine that replaces the engine from Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, making the action more realistic than ever.
- PlayStation Eye camera features that add a new level of detail to the game, including face tracking for looking around the interior of vehicles while in the interior dash view.
- MORE CARS, MORE TRACKS, MORE MODES
- More than 1000 licensed cars, including those representing racing organizations from around the globe such as NASCAR, World Rally Championship, Super GT and more.
- More than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations featuring famous world circuits and real-world city locales.
- Arcade mode lets players take in the stunning tracks and environments of
- Gran Turismo 5 alone or with a friend in split-screen two-player mode.
- The fan-favorite career mode returns with a full world map, licensed car dealerships, tuning and body shops, and car washes. Start your car collection, customize them to your liking, and live the life of a pro racer.
- Compete in franchise mainstays like point-based Championship Race series and hone your skills with License Tests.
- Gran Turismo TV Video gives players access to an online clearinghouse of great motorsport video programming (both HD and SD – all broadcast quality) through PLAYSTATION Network. Users can now export this content to the GT PSP Museum (GT PSP required).
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR RIDE, AND YOUR GAME
- Photo Mode and Photo Album allows users to capture their greatest GT moments, and share with friends. Players can stage and capture stylish shots from a number of angles and locations.
- Photo Album can be shared online, and the Online Replay Album lets players capture replay video from their favorite races and upload them to YouTube for the world to see.
- Players can create custom soundtracks from music stored on their PS3s to play in-game.
- RACE AGAINST THE WORLD, ONLINE
- Online racing evolves in Gran Turismo 5 with robust racing options that are shaping up to deliver the deepest online racing experience available.
- Players can join in on public races featuring up to 16 players at once with text and voice chat, or host private races with lobbies supporting up to 32 players per lobby.
- OTHER FEATURES
- Players who own Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue can transfer cars unlocked in that game directly to their garage in Gran Turismo 5 for use in Arcade Mode through special cross-talk interoperability.
- Gran Turismo 5 will feature full PSN Trophy support, making players’ accomplishments that much more satisfying.
More articles about Gran Turismo 5