Mario Sports Mix is a collection of four high-energy arcade style sport games; Basketball, Volleyball, Hockey and Dodgeball, with some unexpected twists and turns along the way, ensuring hours of crazy sporting fun. Challenge your friends to some fast-paced fun in quick fire rounds to get that adrenaline pumping and competitive spirit racing!
Play as famous Nintendo characters or challenge your own personalised Mii character to a match against of the likes of Mario, Peach, Yoshi or Toad. However, choose your stage carefully as it will affect gameplay in challenging ways changing the way the ball and your surroundings behave. During each game you will also find items that will scupper the opposition and coins that increase your score, so that the final result is never certain until the very end. For example allowing you to slip up your opponents with banana peel or shoot a green shell to stun another player for a couple of seconds so that they lose possession of the ball. Each character in the game also has a different special move, like filling the opponent’s side with flowers for Daisy or throwing a yellow “bomber shot” for Wario.
Mario Sports Mix can be played in single player mode or in up to four player matches in every sport where you compete for three different cups: Mushroom, Flower and Star Cup. Play as your chosen Nintendo characters and pit your skills against your opposition of 8 teams to become champion of each fast and furious sport, where additional stages and characters will be unlocked upon victory.
To ensure your experience will never be the same, when replaying a tournament, an alternative path may appear where you will be faced with special challenges or a mini game from the party mode to complete. Four different mini-games can be played, each inspired by a different sport. In the Basketball mini-game, Feed Petey you must grab low-hanging fruits from the ceiling and aim them directly into the mouth of Petey the piranha plant... In Smash Skate, you must push other players off a ledge using hockey sticks to perform charged shots and Bomb-omb Dodge requires you to dodge bombs that are shot by cannons at each corner of the Dodgeball court. In the final mini-game Harmony Hustle, different coloured volleyballs are thrown in line with the music onto the court - you must catch the one of your own colour and avoid a multitude of traps and balls to win combo points.
- The cast of Mushroom Kingdom characters get together to play sports — Mario style. While the basic rules of the games apply, each one includes some magical Mario twists like coins and special items that ramp up the craziness and fun.
- While playing, gathering coins will build up bonus points. So when players score a point or basket, they also get the added bonus.
- Players collect items like a Koopa Shell to use against their opponents. They can even use special items to beat up on the other team while shooting or spiking. One example of a special ball move is using a Mini Mushroom to shrink the ball before it's returned to the other side of the volleyball net.
- Each character has a signature move that's almost impossible for opponents to stop. These include Mario's fireball moves or Princess Peach's heart-filled attacks.
- In the field of play, a variety of tricks will keep players on their toes. On DK Dock, the volleyball court will continually slide from left to right. On Bowser Jr. Blvd, the basketball court has bonus circles that frequently appear, offering both positive and negative bonuses that result in extreme point swings.
- In each sport, play with up to three players cooperatively or with up to four players competitively in a two-on-two match.
More articles about Mario Sports Mix