When Heroes of Newerth launched in May of this year, it was referred to by some fans as DotA 2.0. Now Heroes of Newerth itself is scheduled to get the "2.0" branding, as S2 prepares to release a major update to the game.
HoN 2.0 features a more action-packed game style that will enhance the adrenaline factor for hardcore gamers and attract more casual gamers, a growing breed of /HoN/ players. In addition to enhanced visual and interface elements, a new 3v3 map, a map editor, and a cosmetic items shop, HoN 2.0 introduces a new-and-improved Match Making System that fairly and quickly matches players. /HoN 2.0/ also introduces an entirely new game play mode, called Casual Mode, aimed to lower the barrier to entry for new and casual gamers.
/HoN 2.0/ streamlines the game play experience, enabling faster and shorter games—elevating the /HoN/ platform a step further above DotA. /HoN/, since its launch earlier this year has garnered a dedicated following, with more than 12.3 million downloads, and an average of more than 230,000 players per day. The team-oriented design of /HoN/, when combined with the /HoN 2.0/ upgrades, allows for an incredibly deep tactical team-based experience unlike any other.
Newly added features of /HoN 2.0/ include:
- New Match Making System:* This innovative and intuitive feature increases the efficiency of team creation by automatically gathering player statistics and formulating teams, resulting in more fair matches. It minimizes wait time and makes it easier for players to play together on a level playing field.
- Casual Mode: This entirely new mode of play will provide new HoN players and casual gamers with a more “fun,” less punishing way to learn and play HoN. Elements in Casual Mode speed up progression and increase rewards in ways that remain true to the game's core identity, delivering a version that can be embraced by new and veteran players alike.
- New 3v3 Map- Grimm’s Crossing: *A new action-packed and exciting map that features a two-way teleporter in the middle area. The map’s terrain, sculpted around the concept of nonstop combat, enables players to get creative and aggressive in exploring new fighting strategies.
- Map Editor: *Users can now create and edit maps for enhanced single-player experiences, and users who are inspired to create multi-player maps can submit their map designs to the HoN DREAM website for potential inclusion in HoN.
- HoN In-Game Shop*: With Goblin Coin currency, which can be earned or bought, players can purchase in-game brag-worthy cosmetic upgrades such as alternate hero avatars, taunt availability, chat icons and sound packs. The micro-transaction based store, controlled by Merrick the goblin shopkeeper, allows players to customize their experience without affecting game play or degrading the competitive integrity of /HoN/. In addition, /HoN 2.0/ game enhancements/additions include:
- Interactive Mini-Map:* Fresh enhancements include an interactive mini map that lets players quickly view information about an object by rolling over it with the mouse.
- Context-Sensitive Commands*: Communicate with teammates by holding ALT and clicking on an object on the map or in the game-world itself to give commands, such as “attack this Hero,” or “defend this tower.” This unit-ping feature also draws visuals around the target to improve team coordination when engaging the enemy.
- End-Game Achievements/Rewards:*
Account experience and goblin coins will be rewarded at the end of each Matchmaking game, creating a whole new layer of depth and progression. Players may redeem these rewards in the In-Game Shop. “In developing HoN 2.0, we looked to incorporate the feedback from our loyal and growing player base, while continuing to push the envelope of the game experience,” said Marc DeForest, CEO and founder of S2 Games. “With new graphic developments, enhanced features, and infrastructure development, we are confident that existing and new HoN players will get one of the best multiplayer, action-RPG experiences available today.”
. /HoN 2.0/ is a free upgrade for all current /HoN/ players. New players can download /HoN 2.0/ and pay the one-time $30 cost at www.heroesofnewerth.com.
More articles about Heroes of Newerth