One of the highest-rated PlayStation Network titles returns with PixelJunk Shooter 2, the sequel to last year's award-winning PixelJunk Shooter. From Kyoto-based developer Q-Games, PixelJunk Shooter 2 is a direct sequel to PixelJunk Shooter, introducing more elements to manipulate, new areas to navigate through and more enemies to take on as players take control of a subterranean vehicle to explore diverse underground caverns teeming with mysterious, deadly creatures.
PixelJunk Shooter begins with the rescue ship being swallowed by a giant beast during its mission. It's up to the players to navigate through the internal organs and vessels of this creature to escape while rescuing as many survivors that have also been eaten. Much like PixelJunk Shooter, PixelJunk Shooter 2 is a complex and dynamic fluid simulation system, which fills the game world with flowing liquids and hazardous gases, and provides the game its distinctive style. Blast holes in walls or use your ship itself to drill past scorching hot magma. The fluids react in real-time to the player's actions and to other liquids, creating unique and exciting situations with every play. The goal of the game is to find and rescue the many helpless, stranded survivors. Players will need to master the deformable terrain, the flowing liquids and the fierce life forms as they proceed deeper into ever more challenging environments.
Rather than just do a simple battling-type system, Q-Games created a special cat-and-mouse type game which has you and the enemy take turns as cat or mouse, either scouring the stage for the other player or running away from him. The trick being that the “mouse” is invisible to the other player unless he views you directly, so you can sneak around collecting the survivors and transporting them to your base. Each survivor that goes into your base is an extra point. But watch out: When it is the other player’s turn to play mouse they can steal them back if they are cunning enough.
Carefully laid out on top of this really addictive core game is a league system that earns you “money” that you can use to buy crazy and special items for use in battle (you only have to buy them once and you can use up to three types at any time per battle). The ultra-slow but ultra-smart homing missile is one of developers' favourites (it doggedly tracks the other player and is difficult to shake off!), as is the “Time Slip” item that rewinds the positions of both players for a few seconds. There is a limit on the number of uses of certain items within a battle, so a lot of strategy is involved and it has a seriously good “just one more go” factor – if you win, you will climb into new leagues to get bonuses so you can buy even cooler weapons (with 20 to choose from!) and more maps to play on.
- The game features a competitive online multiplayer mode, with a distinct rule-set and many specifically designed battle arena stages.
- PixelJunk Shooter 2 contains an advanced Score Attack mode over the original game. Player "ghosts" can be stored online for each personal best performance and players can choose to challenge a ghost from the ranking table or from their friends list, and fight for the high score.
- PixelJunk Shooter 2 introduces "Ghost Docks," where a scripted ghost will be called upon to complete a path and certain tasks by itself. The player will need to utilize and work with the ghost in order to proceed.
- Features several unique worlds with stylishly designed graphics and brand new music from High Frequency Bandwidth.
- The dynamic rendition of water, magma and other substances is the visual centerpiece in PixelJunk Shooter 2.
- Players attempt to change the terrain and environment around them to progress. It takes strategy, planning and addictive replay to succeed.
- Share your scores and game footage with the world
- Feel the effects when the craft bumps into the cavern's wall.
- Supports Remote Play for PSP system.
- PixelJunk Shooter 2 will fully support PlayStation Trophies
More articles about PixelJunk Shooter 2