Def Jam Rapstar captures the essence of what Hip Hop is all about: the music, the battles and of course...the swagger.
The ultimate emcee experience for video game consoles, Def Jam Rapstar is the only music game that focuses exclusively on Hip Hop. With more than 40 of the greatest Hip Hop songs available at release, including region specific music for the UK and Europe, Def Jam Rapstar allows you to be the star: by rhyming, using your console camera, and uploading your video to the fully integrated Def Jam Rapstar community at the official website. Def Jam Rapstar also offers you the ability to freestyle over tracks by some of the hottest hip hop producers and upload your freestyle performances for the world to decide how good you really are.
Def Jam Rapstar is proud to announce a groundbreaking association with Atlantic Records UK. The label, which has released world-renowned music from stars such as Flo-Rida, Jay-Z, T.I., Lupe Fiasco, B.o.B, Missy Elliott, Plan B and many more, will offer a record deal to the winner of Def Jam Rapstar’s nationwide search for Britain’s best new Rapper - The first time new music talent has ever been signed from a video game.
The search for a British Rapstar will launch January 1st 2011. Players will be invited to upload their performances to the official website using the games innovative freestyle mode, with this stage of the contest lasting one month (terms & conditions apply). The top UK rappers, as voted for by the community on the official website, will then be invited to battle it out live on Def Jam Rapstar’s freestyle mode at regional qualifiers, held at select HMV stores across the country during February 2011 and judged by the audience in attendance, ‘8 Mile style’.
The final ten hottest lyricists will then go bar for bar at a central London finale and judged by a panel of Hip Hop / Music aficionados (details to be announced). The winner will be crowned the Rapstar champ and signed by Atlantic Records who will then go on to release the Rapstar's first single commercially.
HMV gamerbases and stores nationwide will be setting up Def Jam Rapstar freestyle stations from January 1st 2011 where aspiring rappers can hone their skills before entering the competition.
"We created Def Jam Rapstar with every intention of providing hip hop fans the ultimate gaming and social media experience. Rapstar's social community at the official website not only gives players the chance to perform their favourite hip hop songs and show off their emcee skills, but it also builds a platform for us to discover new talent. Artists, producers, promoters etc... All can join in on the fun." says Kevin Liles, President and CEO, Def Jam Interactive. "Atlantic UK and HMV are the perfect partners to venture into this project and together we will find the next Rapstar."
“Digital technology not only helps artists reach their audiences all over the world, it also provides us with new ways of discovering talent. Rapstar brings those two ideas together in an exciting, cutting edge music experience. Fans will get the chance to explore new music, emulate their heroes and even have a shot at stardom themselves.” said Max Lousada, Chairman, Atlantic Records UK.
"HMV is delighted to be supporting such a groundbreaking idea,that brings together music, games and visual content in a more engaging way than ever before. It also takes interactivity to a whole new and exciting level, whilst also reflecting our own moves as an entertainment brand towards gaming and technology." Simon Fox, HMV CEO.
"Fresh after our initiative with the National Literacy Trust to find UK secondary schools best ‘Rhyme Master’, this is the natural extension to take the search for talent to the next level. We always believed that Rapstar would push the relationship between video games and music like never before, providing a platform that allows undiscovered talent a real opportunity to share their skills and become the next superstar.” said Nick Perrett, CEO of 4mm Games. “With Def Jam Rapstar, the world is literally your stage, and we are pleased to be working with Atlantic Records and HMV who share our passion for music and originality."
- Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey
- Kanye West - Stronger
- Lil’ Kim - Crush On You
- N-Dubz - I Need You (UK Exclusive)
- Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa
- Rob Base - It Takes Two
- Roots Manuva - Witness The Fitness (UK Exclusive)
- Snoop Dogg Gin and Juice
- So Solid Crew - 21 Seconds (UK Exclusive)
- Soulja Boy Tell’em - Turn My Swag On
- Diddy (Featuring The Notorious B.I.G., Lil’ Kim & The Lox - It’s All About The Benjamins (Remix)
- Method Man (Featuring Mary J. Blige) - You’re All I Need/I’ll Be There For You
- Nas (Featuring Diddy) - Hate Me Now
- Nelly - Hot In Herre
- Public Enemy - Fight The Power
- Wiley - 50/50
- Bashy - Black Boys (UK exclusive)
- Busta Rhymes - Put Your Hand’s Where My Eyes Can See
- Devlin - Giant (UK exclusive)
- DMX - Ruff Ryder’s Anthem
- Fat Joe featuring Terror Squad - Lean Back
- Ja Rule featuring Ashanti - Always on Time
- Lil’ Jon - Get Low
- Public Enemy - Can't Truss It
- Twista featuring Kanye West and Jamie Foxx - Slow Jamz
- A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario
- Jim Jones - We Fly High
- LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
- Ludacris - Stand Up
- Onyx - Slam
- RUN DMC - Run’s House
- 2 Pac: I Get Around
- 50 Cent: I Get Money
- Dizzee Rascal: Fix Up, Look Sharp (UK exclusive)
- Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg: Nuthin’ But a “G” Thang
- Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx: Gold Digger
- Kool Savas: Futurama (German exclusive)
- Lil’ Wayne: A Milli
- Notorious B.I.G: Juicy
- NTM featuring Lord Ko: Ma Benz (French exclusive)
- Sefyu: Molotov 4 (French exclusive)
- Sido: Mein Block (Beathoavenz remix) (German exclusive)
- Slick Rick: Children’s Story
- T.I. featuring Rihanna: Live Your Life
- Tinie Tempah: Pass Out (UK exclusive)
- Wu Tang Clan: C.R.E.A.M.
- Young Jeezy featuring Kanye West: Put On
- Freestyle Mode Producers and Tracks Confirmed
- DJ Premier: JJ's Beat
- Just Blaze: On the One
- Cool & Dre - Epidemic
- DJ Khalil - The Good Doctor
- Danja - Nars
- Nitti Beats - Hand’s Up
- Bangladesh - Gutter
- DJ Premier - Go Back
- Just Blaze - 8 Bit
- 9th Wonder - Hand’s Up
- 9th Wonder - Jamla
- Bangladesh - Patron
- Boi-1da - Dance
- Cool & Dre - Public Enemy
- DJ Khalil - LAX
- Biz Markie: Just A Friend
- Drake: Best I Ever Had
- Ice Cube: It Was A Good Day
- Outkast: So Fresh, So Clean
- Pete Rock and CL Smooth: They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)
- Redman and Method Man: Da Rockwilder
- Salt-N-Pepa: Push It
- Def Jam Rapstar is the first music game fully dedicated to Hip Hop
- With over 40 songs spanning the history of Hip Hop, Def Jam Rapstar offers a diverse track list with some of the biggest songs in Hip Hop from all music labels
- Unlike most other microphone-based games, Def Jam Rapstar features custom, proprietary voice recognition technology that judge’s lyrical accuracy. In addition to lyrical accuracy, Def Jam Rapstar also measures players pitch and timing to provide your complete score in real time
- Utilizing the Xbox Live Vision camera or PlayStation Eye, Def Jam Rapstar allows you to create a video of the performance starring yourself, edit, and then upload to www.defjamrapstar.com, a fully integrated online community where players can share their videos with the world to gain global recognition and become a bona fide rapstar!
- Freestyle mode allows MC’s in the making to kick your own lyrics over well-known producer’s beats, offering a chance to show and prove that you have what it takes
- Battle Mode allows you to compete locally head-to-head for the highest score, and Duet mode, where both players sing and rap together to achieve the highest combined score on any given song
- Compatible with all 3rd party microphones on the market
The Def Jam Rapstar bundle will include software and one wired microphone and will retail in North America for $69.99 for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and for $59.99 on Wii. Details on European pricing and bundle information will be forthcoming.
More articles about Def Jam Rapstar