NIER is a unique “Action-RPG that blends both innovative and traditional RPG gameplay mechanics with an intense, bloody combat system to create an action-packed single-player experience where players explore and discover a future lost to a shadowy past.
NIER delivers on Square Enix’s renowned pedigree for creating unique and twisting storylines coupled with deep character development – a pedigree that has kept gamers around the world enraptured for decades.
In NIER, nothing is as it seems as players are kept guessing from beginning to end by elaborate plotlines and cliff-hangers that reveal a complex reality hidden behind the illusion.
Players will jump into the title role of the unyielding Nier as he begins his desperate quest to discover a cure for his daughter, Yonah, who is stricken with the deadly Black Scrawl disease. Armed with a powerful set of magical abilities as well as mighty swords and armor, Nier will do battle alongside a set of formidable allies against waves of dark enemies and giant bosses to discover the truth about the disease, his daughter…and himself.
"We are extremely excited to partner with the storytellers at DC Comics to further explore the complex tale of NIER; to explore its unusual characters; and, to introduce new fans to a storyline that will challenge what they know from beginning to end," said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, Inc. "NIER is a game that paints a sophisticated and graphic picture of the despair resulting from an apocalyptic plague and the triumph of a father's will to protect his most prized possession, his daughter. DC Comics' ability to create colorful and engaging comics will help deliver NIER's unusual story to gamers and prepare them for what lies ahead in the game. By exploring the comics, gamers will understand the basis of Nier's world before they even pick up a sword or cast a spell."
The NIER comics will be available on the game's official Web site, on Xbox Live Arcade, and on PlayStation Store between now and April 27. The comics will reveal tantalizing clues about key characters from the game, including the title-character Nier; his disease-stricken daughter, Yonah; a conflicted and foul-mouthed fighting companion, Kaine; and, the talking book with an attitude, Grimoire Weiss. In addition, the NIER comics will address questions that have yet to be answered, namely, what sequence of events led to the fall of humanity? How was the deadly disease, The Black Scrawl, introduced to the earth? And, where did the terrifying Shades come from and why do they torment the few remaining survivors?
There will be three NIER comics in all, each telling a unique, yet overlapping story. The comics are being created by some of DC Comics' most renowned creators and illustrators, including Emmy-winning creator and executive producer Ricardo Sanchez; Pop Mhan, whose work has appeared on everything from Spider-Man and Ghost Rider at Marvel Comics to Batgirl and The Flash at DC Comics; Eddie Nunez, who works on the soon-to-be released DC Universe MMO; and, Carlos D'Anda, who has worked on notable comic book titles such as Justice League of America, Deathblow, and Lego's Bionice, was the lead Character Designer on the bestselling Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment's Arkham Asylum and is the Lead concept Artist on the DC Universe MMO from Sony Online Entertainment.
- The Next RPG from Square Enix: NIER, the newest franchise from RPG masters Square Enix, delivers unique and memorable characters, intense action-packed battles, explosive magic and storytelling like only Square Enix can.
- Unbelievable Story Twists and Reveals: Immerse in an amazingly intricate storyline set in a world plagued by human anguish, buried secrets and a ravaging disease. With plot twists hiding around every corner, NIER’s story needs to be seen to be believed.
- RPG Gameplay Injected With Action-Packed Combat: Battle ferocious and mysterious enemies by combining proven RPG-style gameplay, such as magic, character development and faithful allies, with action-focused explosive swordplay and combat.
- Powerful Magical Abilities: When his sword isn’t enough, Nier can call on a remarkable array of stylish and powerful spells to augment his combat moves and overcome adversaries. As players progress, upgraded spells will help defeat ever-more-deadly enemies.
- Brutal Combat Moves: Face off against evil creatures and unleash brutal combat moves along with devastating combo attacks. Unlock an arsenal of devastating weapons, each with its own design and attack style.
- Formidable Allies: Travel with a dynamic party of allies and do battle against monstrous giants as a powerful and united party.
- A Dynamic and Stunning World: Travel across an unforgettable world filled with dynamic landscapes featuring the hauntingly familiar remains of modern society.
NIER, rated M for Mature, will be available at North American retailers on PS3/X360 for $59.99.
More articles about Nier