The new update includes three new scenarios ("Germany - Berlin 1945", "Germany - Minsk 1941", "Russia - 3rd Battle of Ladoga"), additional terrain for map creation, expanded modding capabilities, and more.
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “Operation Barbarossa – The Struggle for Russia gives both new and veteran wargamers the chance to experience the strategic challenges facing the Russian and German armies during the Second World War. With plenty of modding capabilities and easy map/scenario creation, the game’s replayability is substantial, but these three new scenarios can’t hurt either!”
On June 22, 1941 an avalanche of 153 German divisions crash into the Soviet Union and the largest military operation in history is begun: Operation Barbarossa. In this elegant turn-based strategy game, compelling gameplay combines with gripping history to create an addictive mix.
Aimed at all levels, from those who have never played a wargame before to those who know the history of World War II in detail, this is an entertaining and mentally challenging game of combined arms strategy. Your armor, infantry, artillery and air units will follow you through the most crucial battles of the Eastern Front. You will be able to choose from 47 different upgrades and improvements for your units as well as add new forces based on your success in the campaign.
Take command in two German and one Soviet campaign as well as individual scenarios and determine the fate of the Eastern Front. When you’ve played through all the campaigns and scenarios, try your hand at the editor to create new scenarios for yourself or to share with others!
- Over 140 different units featuring all important historical weapon systems with up to 23 different characteristics
- Experience based promotion system that offers the player 47 different upgrades to create individual units
- Three historical campaigns from the start of Operation Barbarossa until the Battle of Berlin and a tutorial campaign that provides easy access for beginners
- Interactive, animated 3D environment and detailed 3D units
- Visible weather system with five weather types that influence ground and air units
- Expanded strategic options like destruction and repair of infrastructure and fortifications
- Special unit capabilities like engineers and paratroops
More articles about Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia