Developed as a massive standalone expansion pack enlarging Arma 2 to a completely new level, Operation Arrowhead promises to deliver yet more of the highly authentic military simulation gameplay the series is famed for, while shifting the action to an all-new environment and adding key new features to Arma 2’s already vast palette.
Set in the fictional region of Takistan and taking place three years after the Arma 2’s campaign, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead features three new world maps with radical new terrain; sandy deserts, a dense city with surrounding countryside and a rocky mountainous region. Also included in the standalone expansion pack is support for controlling unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to observe, strike and rescue from afar, along with a fully-modelled FLIR thermal imaging simulation with unprecedented realism to give the player advantages while working at night, going as far as to model vehicle engine heat, tyre friction and even glowing weapon barrels after being fired. A new campaign is included, with Bohemia Interactive taking the experience gained from its previous games, combined with real world events and political intrigue, to create a storyline that serves as a chilling reminder to the geo-political situation the world finds itself in on a constant basis. Other new features include a detachable backpack system for carrying more weapons and ammunition, and an overhauled optics system allowing keen marksmen to ‘zero in’ their scopes to account for ballistic fall-off.
ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead employs a third-generation engine benefitting from more than a decade of continual development and unique experience in implementing new technologies and procedures. Named the Real Virtuality engine, it is widely recognised as the premier platform for modern military simulations where realism and technical accuracy are crucial. Bohemia Interactive Studio’s Real Virtuality engine is used as a base for real-world training simulators implemented by numerous governments and militaries around the world including the United States Marine Corps, the United Kingdom Minstry of Defence and the Australian Defence Force.
Additionally, Meridian4 is also planning on introducing ARMA II Combined Operations, a special edition bundle that consists of the original award winning ArmA II game and Operation Arrowhead.
“We are excited to partner with Bohemia Interactive to bring these two outstanding offerings to gamers,” said Steve Milburn, Marketing Director, of Meridian4. “With new playable content and new simulation features, ArmA II : Operation Arrowhead is a robust PC game that does not require the original ArmA II, yet is fully backwards compatible, so owners of the first game can enjoy the new features and a whole new experience.”
- New Playable Content: New story campaign for both single and multi-player gameplay. Wide range of new tutorials, single scenarios and multiplayer modes.
- Massive Game World: Three brand new Central Asia-style large maps including expansive urban, desert and mountainous terrain, featuring a fully destructible and interactive environment.
- Extra Units and Vehicles: Multiple factions for all sides including US Army, United Nations, Takistani Army and Guerrillas making a collection of 300+ new units, weapons and vehicles.
- ltimate War Simulation Experience: Fully integrates with the original ARMA 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.
- Unique Gameplay Elements: Detachable backpacks with equipment, advanced weapon optics, material penetration modeling, remote real-time simulation of Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAV), freedom of decision and repercussive actions.
More articles about ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead