Microsoft stated that "new games will be added to the service every week, starting in late April," but in following an earlier delay, Microsoft Europe Xbox Live's Daniel Maher revealed it has been delayed until further notice.
Remember pumping quarters into your favorite video games at the classic arcade or passing the joystick between friends on the couch after school? Nothing could beat the sights and sounds of the arcade, with all the colorfully decorated cabinets, or the endless hours of console competition with friends, trumping the top score and mastering the machine.
“Game Room” on Xbox LIVE lets you relive the glory days of classic arcade games in their original forms. Your avatar will take part in the original sights, sounds and gameplay that will make these retro games come alive on your Xbox 360 and PC in one fast, fun experience.
Relive the glory days of the classic arcade. “Game Room” replicates the old-school look, sound and feel of a retro video game arcade. At launch, “Game Room” will bring you a library of 30 original arcade and console classics such as “Centipede” and “Asteroids Deluxe” from Atari Inc. and other favorites from Activision Inc., Intellivision, Konami Corp. and more, all shown in their original cabinets. Create a brand-new social environment your avatar can explore, trick out your “game room” by arranging your cabinets, and decorate each room with themes and animated icons from your favorite games. With weekly new title releases, your arcade will soon be retrofitted to perfection.
Prove you’re the arcade master. Think you have what it takes? Challenge friends to beat your high score by sending custom challenges and taunts across platforms, earn Achievements, unlock levels and climb your way to the top of universal leader boards. Compete in ranked mode, in which you play against other Xbox LIVE members on the world leader board, or challenge mode, in which you take turns playing a game. “Game Room” also offers local Couch Play mode for up to two players — how will you duke it out for arcade supremacy? Enjoy a seamless experience across Xbox 360 and Windows-based PCs as you share games, track your progress and jump back into the game, no matter which of the two platforms you’re on. You can even invite friends into your custom arcade to check out your collection or visit their “game room” to demo games and scope out additions to your collection.
Buy “Game Room” titles once and play on both your Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC. Enjoy the freedom of buying games for “Game Room” once and playing on both Xbox 360 and a Windows-based PC for about the same price as a DVD rental. Those who prefer to play on a single platform can purchase individual games for either Xbox 360 or a Windows-based PC at a lower price point, or even pay to play a single game just like in the old arcades. See how long you can last on a single token!
Retro games are shown in their original cabinets, which you can place anywhere in your personal arcade. Invite your friends in to check out your collection.
An Xbox 360 or PC and an Internet connection are all you need to access “Game Room.” “Game Room” and associated games can be found on your Xbox 360 in the Xbox LIVE Games Marketplace or in the Games for Windows — LIVE client on your PC.
It is free to download “Game Room,” which you can then populate with classic arcade games available for individual purchase. Buy games once and play on both an Xbox 360 system and a PC for 400 Microsoft Points. Or, to purchase a game for only one platform, each individual Xbox 360 or Windows-based PC title is 240 Microsoft Points. You also have the option to pay to play a single game, just like dropping two quarters in the slot in the old arcades, for 40 Microsoft Points. Visit your friends’ “game rooms” and try their games free before you buy.
‘Game Room’ Achievements!
- My First Theme: Place a Theme in your arcade 5
- Theme Filler: Place 5 unique Themes in your arcade 20
- Fancy Arcade: Theme an entire arcade with unique Themes 20
- My First Mascot: Activate a Mascot in your arcade 5
- My First Decoration: Place a Decoration in your arcade 5
- Proptastic: Place 5 arcade Decorations in your arcade 20
- My First Game: Place a Game Cabinet in your arcade 5
- The Visitor: Visit a Friend’s arcade 5
- Show Me!: Visit the Showcase Arcade 5
- The Player: Play a Friend’s Game Cabinet 5
- Room Filler: Fill an entire room 20
- My First Win: Win a Challenge 5
- My First Challenge: Send a Challenge 5
- Challenge Chief: Win 10 Challenges 5
- Challenge Master: Win 20 Challenges 20
- Too Cool for my Score: Beat your own High Score in a game 20
- My Blisters have Blisters!: Play a game for 1 hour continuously 5
- Arcade Junkie: Spend 4 hours total playing games in your arcade 20
- Retro Addict: Spend 8 hours total playing games in your arcade 20
- Go to Sleep: Spend 16 hours total playing games in your arcade 20
- Machine not Man: Spend 24 hours total playing games in your arcade 20
- Matchstick Eyes: Spend 36 hours total playing games in your arcade 20
- My First Meda: Win your first Medal 5
- Medal Variety: Win a Medal of each Type (Point Buster, Survivalist, Time Spender) 5
- Double Trouble: Win 2 Medals of each type (2x Point Buster, 2x Survivalist, 2x Time Spender) 20
- Medal Collector: Win 3 Medals 20
- 80s Skilled: Win 6 Medals 20
- Game Beater: Win 9 Medals 20
- Arcade Hustler: Win 12 Medals 20
- Retro Expert: Win 15 Medals 20
- The New Old Schooler: Win 18 Medals 20
- Medal Enthusiast: Win 21 Medals 20
- Arcade Shark: Win 24 Medals 20
- Can’t Touch This!: Win 27 Medals 20
- Retro Master: Win 30 Medals 20
- Check My Skillz: Win 33 Medals 20
- Minted: Win 36 Medals 20
- Medaltastic: Win 39 Medals 20
- Fly Skillz: Win 42 Medals 20
- Medal Masher : Win 45 Medals 20
- I Like Shiny Things: Win 48 Medals 35
- Level Up!: Reach Level 2 20
- Level 5!: Reach Level 5 20
- Level 8!: Reach Level 8 20
- Level 11!: Reach Level 11 20
- Level 14!: Reach Level 14 20
- Level 17!: Reach Level 17 20
- Level 20!: Reach Level 20 50
- Medal Smasher: Win 10 Medals of each type 20
- Medal Mad: Win 20 Medals of each type 50
- Point Buster: Win 5 Point Buster Medals 20
- Point Slammer: Win 10 Point Buster Medals 20
- Survivalist: Win 5 Survivalist Medals 20
- Survival of the Fittest: Win 10 Survivalist Medals 20
- Time Spender: Win 5 Time Spender Medals 20
- Time Crazy: Win 10 Time Spender Medals 20
More articles about Xbox 360