Follow up to the 2004's Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption is a Western epic, set at the turn of the 20th century when the lawless and chaotic badlands began to give way to the expanding reach of government and the spread of the Industrial Age.
Red Dead Redemption recreates the American West at the turn of the 20th century: a violent and turbulent time of rapid growth and change. Players become the partially reformed outlaw John Marston; blackmailed by the government, his family threatened as he is forced to traverse the vast and unforgiving expanses of the Western frontier in search of members of his former gang. In a dangerous world full of opportunistic criminals, corrupt officials and settlers battling the elements in a struggle to survive, Marston’s journey takes him from the dusty and lawless frontier to the civilized towns of the North, and down into a Mexico on the brink of a full-scale civil war.
Utilizing Rockstar's proprietary Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE), Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns, rolling prairies teeming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes - each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions. Along the way, players will experience the heat of gunfights and battles, meet a host of unique characters, struggle against the harshness of one of the world’s last remaining wildernesses, and ultimately pick their own precarious path through an epic story about the death of the Wild West and the gunslingers that inhabited it.
Red Dead Redemption will feature a robust set of challenges and perks exclusively for Social Club members that will be seamlessly integrated into the game itself. Registry for the Social Club is easily accessed through in-game menus and has the ability to automatically link to an existing Xbox Live or PlayStation Network account. Once registration is complete, members can unlock seven exclusive cheats, which import automatically into the game. Social Club members will have access to:
- Social Club Challenges – Members who complete a series of special challenges will have the ability to access an exclusive collection of cheats. To unlock “Pike’s Basin Challenge,” the first of many challenges to come, beat the “Justice in Pike’s Basin” mission, and complete the Pike’s Basin gang hideout by helping rancher Errol Hewitt defeat a gang of bloodthirsty cattle rustlers. Completing the unlocked challenge will post your best time and medals garnered to a special Social Club Challenges leaderboard, and unlock the “Guns Blazing” cheat, allowing you to fire flaming bullets that can set enemies on fire. More challenges will be revealed after the game’s release.
- Rockstar Challenges – Awaken your team spirit and work with other players to cumulatively complete a challenge and unlock a surprise reward. Available in late May, “The Strike It Rich! Rockstar Challenge” spurs players to grab as much money in the world as possible to reach the grand bank total and unlock the mystery prize. The Social Club site allows you to keep track of the community’s progress, as well as access helpful tips and tricks to reach the goal.
- The Blackwater Ledger – A dynamic community edition of the in-game newspaper keeps Social Club members updated on all the news that’s fit to print. Reporting daily from New Austin, Nuevo Pariaso, and West Elizabeth, the Ledger records who’s earned the highest bounties, what the most popular products purchased at local merchants are, how many people have cheated in poker that day, and much, much more.
- My Stats – Keep meticulous records of your in-game progress and earn those bragging rights. My Stats allows you keep track of a variety of information, from how well you performed in single-player missions to extensive multiplayer performance statistics. The features also allows you to compare stats with your Social Club friends.
- Multiplayer Leaderboards – The leaderboard tracks players across a variety of categories for both competitive and the upcoming co-op multiplayer modes. The easy-to-use global leaderboard allows you to view how your skills stack up against the world, or you can make it more personal by viewing a friends-only leaderboard.
- Achievements & Trophies – Keep track of each and every Achievement or Trophy earned and compare with Social Club friends.
- The 100% Checklist – Completionists on a quest for 100% in Red Dead Redemption can use a detailed guide to keep track of what’s unlocked, as well as what’s left. Tips and a map legend will help wrap up any loose ends.
- Official Red Dead Redemption Social Club Multiplayer Events – The highly-anticipated debut of Red Dead Redemption Social Club Multiplayer Events begin Friday, May 21 on the PlayStation Network from 4-7PM EST, and Saturday, May 22 on Xbox LIVE from 1-4PM EST. Celebrate the release of Red Dead Redemption and play with, or against, Rockstar employees worldwide, including members of Rockstar San Diego. Live chat at the events page and a live stream will be available exclusively to Social Club members.
More articles about Red Dead Redemption